Hello all!

I'm looking for info re the most current experiences getting from Canada (via the US) into the BVI. Over my 30+ years of visiting I've pretty much done every itinerary imaginable but with all the changes thanks to Covid things are just a weeee (!!) bit different these days. I've been following here and on the BVI Facebook group pages since I booked our trip a few months back but the protocols change so frequently I'm hoping for the latest input before I make my final flight choices.

Here's my current routing ...

Vancouver > DFW > MIA > SJU on American, followed by SJU > EIS on InterCaribbean. Good connections with the exception of the SJU > EIS which has a 4 hour layover. The other caveat to this is that IC does not have a baggage handling agreement with AA so we'll have to get our bags after we clear customs, go thru immigration and then find the IC ticket counter in the airport to check in and get our bags checked through. A bit of a hassle for sure (especially after how long it takes to get to SJU from Van. To boot we aren't exactly the lightest packers lol) and I'm also not sure what the Covid protocol is for this situation - if we're going into the main part of the airport to check in it seems possible we'll have to do some sort of Covid vaccine check? We have lots of time but it just adds another layer of 'stuff' to deal with.

The other option is to fly Van > LAX > MIA > STT and ferry over. This routing arrives into STT at 1pm so lots of time to get the 5pm ferry without stressing. Done this a zillion times and actually enjoy arriving this way (sipping a cold Carib on the upper deck cruising thru the islands is a great way to start things off!) but when I booked back in August the ferry system and the Covid management was very up in the air and I opted to fly via SJU instead. Now that I'm seeing the ferry schedules on an even keel and the Covid protocols more consistent I'm thinking this may be my better option. I can change my flites without any penalties so it's all about what will be the least stressful and smoothest way to go!

Sooooooo ... recent fellow BVI bound travellers ... any comments on the 2 options? Your feedback is MUCH appreciated!

THANK YOU!!
GT :-)

Last edited by BVIslandGirl; 11/29/2021 07:03 AM.