I posted on TA but it was suggested I post here as there are more charterers.

We are currently on a charter—our second in the past 5 years, both in the BVIs. The experiences with the crew were quite different. I’m wondering which is customary. The second situation has been a bit off putting and left us feeling a somewhat taken advantage of, but it’s entirely possible that we are novices unfamiliar with the proper etiquette of chartering.

Both half board. The first was not owner operated, the owner had two employees living aboard but he was not on board himself. The second that we are on now is owner operated. First time it was just a trip for 2 adults. Second trip 4 adults. The first time we invited the crew to dine with us on island on one occasion but the other times they just dropped us at shore to do our own thing. The second trip the crew has made reservations for lunch and dinner on shore and always includes themselves, regardless of whether they were asked. We have probably spent an extra $1000 (probably more) for food and alcohol between all of the lunches and dinners they had with us on shore. At one restaurant they ordered two bottles of wine just for the two of them, which was of course added to our bill. Again, this second charter crew took it upon themselves to be included in the restaurants, all of which were upscale. We likely would have extended the offer for dinner on at least one occasion, lunch as well, but from the first reservation on they went ahead and made the decision for us.

Are we wrong to feel put off by the second experience? Is that typical, or was our first charter experience more typical. Otherwise the trip has been fine. But the expectation to pay for all of their meals in addition to the charter cost and tip seems odd to all of us.

For what it’s worth….There are many good reviews of our charter. None mentioned the dinners and lunches with the crew. None suggested any imposition. Which is why we are wondering if that’s just how it works?

Last edited by JJ23; 12/17/2021 01:14 AM.