we found the entire process quite easy. I created a managed account on Navica for my husband and two teens. When you go to "take test" on Emed, it will ask you to login then ask who is taking the test. You will see a drop down for all users. I found this to be the easiest way for my family. That way I could keep everything in one place since I was the one doing the portal for all 4 of us.
After you login you will just wait for the proctor to come on. You scan the unopened box so they can check expiration dates and then do the test. You scan the barcode on the test window before and after so they know it is the same. The active part of the test takes only about 2 minutes . They then set a timer and you just leave the camera trained on the card. It beeps after 15 minutes and you come back. There is a re-connection with a new person and you scan the card and let them see the results. This is only a minute or so interaction. They then, almost immediately send you your results. Both to Navica as well as to your email. If you have a printer, great- it is the easiest. If not, open the results and screenshot it. You can then upload the screenshot to the portal.
I had no issues with using a phone. I literally just propped it on a conch shell in the villa and took the test.
The only thing I would give you a heads up about if you are doing managed accounts for other people is this-Unless they are under 18, they will ask if the test taker is the "owner of the account". Say YES. I made the mistake of telling my oldest son (over 18) to say it was a managed account and then they said they couldn't find it and disconnected us. If you are doing it for someone under 18 you will need to be present and show YOUR ID. It seems it only recognizes a truly managed account if the person is under 18.