I have a different perspective than Caribbeangirl. We’ve been fortunate to be in and out of the islands many many times.

We typically fly in and out via STT and water taxi or fly between STT and BVI. Flying is super easy both ways via a private air charter - you are virtually the only ones going through STT customs on the way back and have concierge level service at EIS.

This past trip (returned Monday) we flew EIS- SJU on the return. Hated it. First off Delta partnered with Silver on the first leg. When we got to the airport we found it was 4 hours late which would cause us to miss our connection. Silver rerouted us on a Cape flight that had open seats but it also ran a little late. Plus we got to pay bag fees. Yippee. The SJU airport is a mess and it was a hike and a half with bags from the plane to the baggage belt to a hidden elevator to customs (thank God for Global Entry) then to the Delta check in counters for bag drop and through TSA. No signage anywhere. Airport was packed. 30 minute wait for restrooms. I kid you not. I much prefer STT - we have Global Entry and going through customs there is a breeze and everything is nice and compact. To each their own.