Your post is so interesting to me. We we first visited St. Martin in 2002 it was about 7 years after Hurrican Luis. There were still so. many. things. broken and in disrepair - but we didn't know the island any differently (other than my husband's one trip in 1973 - but that's another story lol!) so we were not "missing" things. But once we started going, we have gone nearly every year - right up until Hurricane Irma. So 15 trips or so?

We are getting pretty good insider info. as my husband's best friend is native and owns property in Grand Case and many of the things you state are one reason we have not been back. We had probably the best vacation we've ever had on St. Martin in June of 2017 - ie shortly before the hurricane - and I think I don't want to ruin those memories. Also, bwtween the Covid protocols, the costs, and the cost of airfare, we have just chosen not to go back YET. But part of me honestly wonders if we will ever again justify the cost to go there when it seems we can go other places for half the price (unless we stay at my husband's friend's home). Especially as we age and our income becomes more fixed. I guess only time will tell.