Originally Posted by HoneymoonTrav
Hello all - we are going to Virgin Gorda for our honeymoon from 2022-08-21 through 2022-08-28 and I am looking for any and all advice on things to do and places to eat / drink / visit. Any recommendations on Virgin Gorda or the surrounding islands would be very appreciated. Are the resort restaurants still open in August? Any favorite hiking trails or should we stick to the beaches? Especially good snorkeling spots?

I am also concerned about our ferry travel. I know this is a common question on this forum and I already saw some advice to check https://bestofbvi.com/ for schedules but could someone vet this itinerary?

Sunday 8/21/22
1) Arrive at 1:30 pm in STT
2) 2:30 pm ferry to Tortola (Can we make it from the plane to the ferry in an hour?)
3) Customs at Tortola and cab ride to Beef Island / Trellis Bay
4) 4:30 pm ferry to Spanish Town

Sunday 8/28/22
5) 6:00 am ferry from VG to Beef Island / Trellis Bay
6) Cab ride to Tortola's dock.
7) 7:00 am ferry to St. Thomas
8) 2:30pm flight out.

Is that too early to leave Virgin Gorda? My worry is the next ferry isn't until 11:30 and it's and that would put us at the airport around 1PM. Anyone have experience on how long the STT airport takes?

Couple notes on travel for you:

1.) Arrival - I would not count on catching the 2:30pm ferry if you land on STT at 1:30pm. Any delays in your flight at all and you will certainly miss that ferry. If everything goes perfectly you will have a chance, but I would plan on the 5:00pm STT to Tortola ferry, taxi to Trellis, and then 9:00pm Trellis Bay to Virgin Gorda ferry.

If you do happen to catch the 2:30pm STT to Tortola ferry, I would also not count on catching the 4:30pm Trellis Bay to Virgin Gorda ferry. Sample timeline - 2:30pm to 3:30pm ferry ride STT to Tortola. 3:30 to 4:00pm clear customs (if you are lucky), 4:00pm to 4:30pm taxi to Trellis... it'd be very tight. I'd say the 6:30pm would be more likely.

Obviously this is less than ideal and makes for quite a long day. As this is your honeymoon and if you are willing to splurge I would highly recommend looking into a private flight charter from STT to Virgin Gorda through Island Birds. You can call Nadia directly @ +1-284-496-6729. Or a private water taxi through IslandTime Powerboat Rentals.

2.) Departure - You definitely should take the 7:30am ferry to St. Thomas instead of the 11:30am one. St. Thomas airport can take a very long time. Although you will be here during a much slower time of the year and in theory going through the STT airport will be faster due to their being less travelers, I would highly recommend the 7:30am ferry.

3.) As for restaurants, unfortunately many will be closed during your dates. In the North Sound - Saba Rock, Bitter End Yacht Club, Oil Nut Bay and The Restaurant at Leverick Bay (fine dining upstairs) will all be closed. SugarCane in Nail Bay will also be closed.

Downstairs at Leverick ("Jumbies"), as well as CocoMaya will be open. Hog Heaven I am uncertain of.

Last edited by VirginGordaResident; 07/07/2022 04:19 PM.