This maybe not a perfect answer for true boaters. I'm usually more of a landlubber when I'm in the BVI except for ferries. However, I always buy a new pair of Crocs whenever I come down. A basic pair with holes in the tops and especially around the toe areas. On land, they are easy to get on and off but stay on well with the straps. And they protect toes and feet better than flip flops. I wear them into the surf as well for protection. Then when you get out of the water, they protect your feet from hot sand. Afterwards, they are extremely easy to rinse all the sand off of due to the holes in the shoes and toes. They dry off very quickly since they aren't made of any type of fabric. Which is great in preventing sand being tracked into vehicles or onto boats when you're done walking around. Wouldn't recommend wearing them on the boat, though, since they can tend to be a bit slippery on smooth, wet surfaces.

I'd be interested to hear from those more veteran than me what their opinion on my island Crocs is. Pros/cons?