@boucharda The article clearly says that the ATM was at the RBC in Philipsburg. If you look at the picture at the top of the article, you can actually see the two ATM machines, inside separate areas, on either side of the main doors. In February, I used the one on the left!

I agree with you about not using isolated ATMs, or at night, especially in a strange area. I used that particular ATM at mid-day, with lots of people around. Another rule for me when travelling is to only use an ATM at a major bank, not a freestanding, third-party ATM. And I too, have a daily cash withdrawal limit of well under $1,000 per day, so that also limits any potential damage. So far, so good, and I have used my debit card throughout Canada, the USA, Europe, and the Caribbean for decades. But everyone has to do what makes them the most comfortable.

@Southshore Yes, I was referring to the foreign exchange rate only. I have no fees with my bank. The only real fee I was referring to was the $6 USD withdrawal fee by RBC in Philipsburg, since I'm not technically a client there. And yes, I usually use one of the ATMs that will dispense USD here at home. The rate is good and its more convenient than ordering foreign cash, or standing in line to see a teller. And I am also a senior, plus my banking package also entitles me to a "preferred" exchange rate when accessing foreign cash, whether, USD or Euros, etc. So I agree with all your comments.

Last edited by CanuckTravlr; 08/06/2023 02:38 PM.