Welcome Steve,

It’s all about expectations. What do you expect to accomplish in 2-3 hours with a check-out captain?

Boat handling skills? Anchoring drills? Mooring pickup and release? Docking? Help with what is basically single-handling sailing? Trim and fine points of sailing?

All may be needed, but how much can you expect to accomplish in a couple of hours with somebody you’ve never met, and who may have his own agenda – different than yours.

The party with the most experience with boat-handling skills should command the helm. With the proper technique the other mate can handle the mooring ball pickup, anchoring duties, or passing a dock line off. But of course, the more experience - the more comfortable you both will be. And then the entire experience will be great for you both!

Personal experience and story…
On and off I’ve sailed, crewed, and owned boats for decades. Got re-interested in sailing again a few years ago via a Moorings owner. We sailed as crew,then active charter responsible party... with my Admiral mostly looking lovely, providing company, acting as relay between helmsman and bow-person, and fetching a cold beverage or two. But after a couple of couples charters, SHE suggested a smaller monohull with just the two of us. So we chartered a 34.5 Bene from Conch Charters. (did the sleep aboard too. Hot at the dock, but it did help that I knew a lot about the boat by the morning)

She was comfortable with my abilities, but was concerned if she could pick-up a ball or drop the anchor. So we had pre-arranged for a captain for a couple of hours on the first day. The captain who showed up was different than who had been confirmed, and with whom we had provided some basic information; but we gave it a go. First couple of passes at a ball in the harbor of Ft. Burt, and she had some challenges of grabbing the painter. He had her standing tall, and bending over the safety lines. Then he suggested that she take the helm, and I grab the painter. No problems for me at all, but the fellow was back with her, guiding her step by step. (Later after an near disaster, we changed positions - I taught her to get low – even lay on the deck to reach the painter with the boat-hook, she was 6 for 6 after that). She wasn’t comfortable at the helm at all, couldn’t even sense Forward, Neutral, Reverse. With me at the helm, I’m 99.3% sure of a ball snag on the first try. Into the wind, slow and easy, and I have the bow on the painter at a dead stop. It is really pretty easy in the BVI. Tides and currents really aren’t an issue.

I had planned to drop the fellow off at Peter Island so he could catch a ride back from there. But the new guy said no, we’d just holler on the VHF for a dingy ride for him back to Conch and we’d be on our way. We didn’t have time for a little more info on the particulars of this mono that I hadn’t been on before. (Reef positions, sail trim, etc.) And really didn't get beyond the RoadTown outer channel marker. Did NOT get a ROI on my couple hundred dollar investment.

I’d suggest you know for sure in advance if you can drop him off at Peter or Norman. Might be better to go to Trellis or Marina Cay your first night. Easy for him to get back from there. You might even try with a captain for a full day than just a couple of hours. Probably close to the same cost. Sure, you lose the privacy the first night at sea, but might be a better ROI in the long run.

We sail locally with another couple on their 43’ Hunter. That Admiral commands the helm and brings the boat back to the slip while HE stands by with lines and jumps off to the dock. She backs it up stern-to perfectly with two 90 degree turns (nice bow thruster helps!) So it is all about the communication and comfort level for each crew member.

Stay cool, keep reasonable expectations, and communicate. Keep reading and ask questions. You’ll have a blast and will be back. Little bit of luck helps; hope you get lucky too!

JPH

JPH
I spent my money on booze, broads, and boats...the rest I wasted.