Hi Folks,

We will be embarking on our 3rd charter to BVI the first week of April. Previously we sailed out of BVI (Moorings and TMM). This time we are sailing with Waypoints out USVI (former CYOA). We have two other boats with us. One with Waypoints, the other with VIYC out of Compass Point. We arrive March 31st for sleep aboard and return the boats on April 9th. I have some questions specific to transiting from USVI to BVI and back as well as general itinerary advice.

Rough itinerary:
day one transit from USVI to BVI and overnight at Cooper (see question below)
Nights 2 and 3 overnight around Virgin Gorda/North Sound
Nights 4 and 5 Anegada
Nights 6 and 7 Jost area
Night 8 somewhere back in USVI (see question below)

Customs Agent or Sailclear - First question relates to customs. Waypoints suggests using the Sailclear app, whereas VIYC requires the charterer to use a custom agent for a fee. Any significant benefit to using a customs agent vs Sailclear, other than not getting off the boat? It's $150 each way to use the agent. From what I have read it seems pretty clear the ROAM app is the easiest way to clear back into USVI.

Fresh fruits/vegetables - We typically bring a cooler of food frozen meat/prepared meals, but never fresh fruits and vegetables, as I did not think BVI would allow them in, but maybe I misunderstand that constraint. My question is can we provision fresh fruits and vegetables in St Thomas, or is that the same as bringing them from the U.S. mainland? If so, is it allowed?

Cooper Island too far day one? - We plan to go ahead and check into BVI at West End on the first day of the charter. From there I would like to try and make it to Cooper. We've not made this stop yet on our prior trips and we would like to be staged to get to Virgin Gorda on Tuesday. I estimate to 2.5 hrs to get from Frenchtown Marina to West End, maybe an hr or two to get through customs and then another 2 hrs to Cooper. Assumably all into wind...any thoughts on this...too much for one day? Alternatively, I thought about heading to Cane Garden bay after checking in and then working way out to Virgin Gorda on Tuesday from there.

Savannah Bay - We've done most of the usual suspects in terms of overnight mooring and would like to mix in some less crowded anchorages. The beach at Savannah Bay on Virgin Gorda looks inviting. Weather permitting of course, has anyone overnighted in this bay? If so, would there be room for 3 cats?

Last night back in USVI - What's the recommendation for our last day/night after we check back into USVI? We will eat on the boat, so prefer a quiet anchorage with clear water that is reasonably positioned to get back to our respective bases by 9 - 10 am.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Bob

Last edited by sailingbob; 01/10/2024 10:04 PM.