Back in May 2023 I booked a FULLY REFUNDABLE ticket on Delta for my upcoming March 2024 trip to SXM. Just 2 days after booking, the fare dropped by around $60 so I called to see about a refund back to my original form of payment. The Delta agent indicated the difference in fare was closer to $160 and issued that amount back to my credit card. No problem, at least I thought. I guess in hindsight, I should have questioned why the difference was more than what I initially noticed.

Today I was checking the same itinerary and noticed a sizable drop (around $120) in the same FULLY REFUNDABLE fare. I did not see any option to request this online so I called Delta. The agent I spoke with indicated the fare difference was closer to $245 and offered me an e-voucher. I said I would prefer a refund back to the original form of payment as Delta had done that before. Now, the agent says she can't issue the requested form of refund as I had changed my FULLY REFUNDABLE ticket to a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket back in May. I insisted that I had made any such change or request with the agent I dealt with in May. The agent today went to a supervisor to see if there was any recourse and indicated there was nothing more they could offer other than an e-voucher that has to be used by May 2024. She then offered to transfer me to a supervisor so we proceeded.

The supervisor looked at options and insisted that since the ticket fare class had been changed (Delta changed it, NOT me) there was nothing more she could offer. I insisted that I never requested the change and it was made without my knowledge or authorization. I figured if I was stuck with the e-voucher they could at least make it good for 1 year from today. She said the system would NOT allow that. The supervisor was very nice and understanding but could not offer any further recourse other than me initiating a consumer complaint with Delta, which I have done.

I don't know if Delta records phone calls, especially when it comes to refunds, but in my complaint, I stated the name of the agent that made the change, along with other details. I have no recollection of the agent mentioning changing the fare class, nor would I have agreed to changing a FULLY REFUNDABLE ticket to NON-REFUNDABLE.

Be aware if any others find themselves in a similar situation and make SURE you keep the fully refundable fare if that is what you initially booked. Verify if you have any doubt.

J.D.