To update this. I received an email response to my online customer complaint, basically indicating since I had not traveled yet, there was nothing that could be done, and they do not handle a situation like this.

"We have identified your submission to be about a pre-trip ticket purchase, change, cancellation, or special request. Unfortunately, our comment/complaint form does not assist with pre-trip support requests and we will not be able to respond to your submission. "

I then decided to try an online chat with Delta, with little hope of any resolve. The first agent was sympathetic but could not do anything but did offer to transfer me to a supervisor. The supervisor reviewed the notes (including the name of the reservation agent that made the unauthorized change to my ticket status) from the chat with the previous agent, and then asked what I wanted to be done. I said I wanted the difference in fare refunded to my credit card (due to the price drop and I did not want the eCredit as it was originally a fully refundable to original form of payment) and the status or the ticket changed. Much to my surprise, the agent said this could be done and the credit did come back to my credit card.

Good on Delta and the chat agent I dealt with. It was very much appreciated on my account. I will be doing a follow-up with Delta on a customer COMPLIMENT form for the agent that made this right.

J.D.