Originally Posted by Rush
My experience has been that all charter companies are happy to assist you in getting off the dock and will bring you back in as well. You will likely want a check out captain for the first day (or the charter company may require that).

I totally agree. Most charter companies would offer, especially given your crew limitations.

I would point out that picking up the mooring ball is likely the biggest issue you will have. I would suggest having the 9 yr old as "POINTER" an to continuously point to the ball so you can maneuver and keep the ball stationary at the bow (off center). I stress the pointer is the key to this and the 13 yo will quickly become adept at picking up the ball and with your wife, they can each run a line back to the cleat...

You, as the skipper, must keep in mind "SLOW is PRO" for all of this... Aisles, if your wife is competent in maneuvering the boat using throttles only, we find it easier for me to be at the bow and my wife to be at the helm.(With widely spaced engine on cats, this is primary method to turn or spin boat at iddle speeds (less than 2-3 knots).

You could request a check out skipper for a couple hours to have you and crew practice this, but you have more experience than many.. and more importantly , you understand the issues.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com