Well this debate has been intermittently going on for a long time it seems.
We just returned from 2 weeks land based on Anegada and 1 week on VG. We have been coming for about most of the past 20 years.
It seems to have become the standard way of doing business for most restaurants. They need to keep all of their employees, and are challenged with supply chain and employment issues that most of us would prefer not to deal with in our own businesses.
I figure that as a customer I am thankful that they are in business for me. We really find that in the vast majority of cases that the staff is striving to take good care of us. We rarely see the sullen uncaring attitude that sometimes occurred years ago. Remember?
So this is how I approach this. I look at the check to see what the service charge is. I circle it. I gently, quietly ask if there is a service charge. If an honest answer is forthcoming, I give directly ~10% in cash to our server, or less if appropriate. I tip less for the alcohol. Most are appreciative and realize that I know the game.
I feel that this way the person at the front of the staff is directly recognized fairly by me and the system that works in the country where I am the guest has to be accepted by me.
Less stress, That is why we are here. My attitude is: Let it go.
Life is too short.