We miss Brasserie des Isles... It had wonderful food at great prices. It was also a "Cop Bar" ...the "cops" were Gendarmes who ate their dinners there under contract...

Since my dad was both a Syracuse NY city cop and then a New York Central Railroad cop in the short 50 years he had on this big green marble (1915-1965) I really felt at home dining amongst the French "boys in blue"!

One of my fondest memories was one visit when our two (then mid-20s) daughters were with us and we took a Peggy & Paul around the island cruise and when we got to Happy Bay and there was an entire class of Gendarmes there celebrating the end of their tour on island with a BBQ. We ate at Danny's in swim suits but then noticed that a small group of nudists were sitting off to the right side of the beach as you faced inland...and the Gendarmes paid no attention.

So we joined that group and enjoyed ourselves c/o as well...

After their BBQ the Gendarmes noticed us...especially the girls..and started tossing around a football. Sooner than later the football wound up amongst us. Our older daughter who played Rugby at Syracuse, caught it in mid air and ran it back quite well until tackled.

Soon the Gendarmes were bringing over bottles of fine French wine to share and socialize with us. Some even got nude.

It was a wonderful experience!

Bill