Perspective, perspective etc. I was going to pass on by and not comment on your view of Philipsburg because I do agree that we all have different tastes (which is why I do not like to pass on my likes and dislikes) What one loves, others do not share their perspective.

Now granted you went to Philipsburgh with a different agenda than most. Most visitors from cruise ships and TTOLer's go with the intention of buying jewelry or other souvenirs. I do agree that to get off a ship and walk around town all day and spend the day at Great Bay Beach is not my cup of tea. They truly are missing out many of the other fine qualities that the island has to offer. However, years ago I might have shared your view of this town, but for the past 6 years we stay in town and hang with the locals. In the a.m I get up and head to Salt Pond Rd to pick up fresh pastries and a newspaper from Carl & Sons, go for breakfast on Back St, get my haircut by Harvey on Back St., get my car washed at Sparkle, go to my Dentist on Front St., pick up a samosa near the gym and then head out of town to Orient Beach. At nights on occasion we head to Chesterfields for Happy Hour where Patricia and Claudette serve us and then it is off to anywhere we want to go. Sometimes it is The 12 Metre for a drink with Flo or the Greenhouse for fish tacos with Chrissie. We used to stay in Oyster Pond which was a long drive to Simpson Bay at night, but not so now from Philipsburg.

For us this location is one of the best as we do not feel like we are tourists. We love it when we are out walking around and locals always greet us with "Good Morning" which does not happen all that often back home. So for us we love Philipsburgh for many reasons ...most of them being the friends we know from here.