I hear you and I agree with you. It is very unpleasant and I hate being gouged by businesses.

I was born and raised in France so I know the Law there and I don't buy the BS given to me by some restaurants in SXM, Sol & Luna being one of them.

It is a shame because the food and service at Sol & Luna was excellent but this behavior left a very bad taste in our mouth.
Consequently, this year, we didn't return, although there's a new owner, and we went to Ocean 82 instead.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that early February, Pineapple Pete told me, after I asked specifically the question, that service was included in their bill although they are on the Dutch side. Is it because I spoke in French with the manager who is from Quebec?Apparently other people who went to Pineapple Pete were told something different.
It don't understand why it is so difficult for these businesses to have a very clear policy regarding service/gratuity and apply it consistently with all customers.
They should know that nowadays, it is very easy for people to post stuff on social medias, and it doesn't take long to seriously damage a reputation. Oh well, it's their problem, not mine.