Actually, because the insurance company booked the flights (as they were paying to have the original flights changed - TWICE) … the insurance company made it conditional upon the doctor signing one of their forms saying that he was fit to travel and this was noted on the ticket.

They couldn't have taken the ferry, he was not able to withstand that kind of jostling.

The whole situation was taken out of their hands. Had they opted to simply rebook flights themselves, the cost of the new flights as well as the cancellation fees would have put them in a position of not being able to pay at all. They were cash strapped having already paid the hospital bill. The new flights were more than double what they paid last May when the flights were booked. Plus the airline charged $600.00 for each change.

All I am saying is that I believe travellers should make it a priority and be absolutely certain you are well covered (insurance wise) in the event of a medical emergency. If you can avoid using the hospital facilities, I would strongly recommend using alternatives such as the clinics first and make it clear to the doctors there that you want to avoid using the hospital unless absolutely necessary.

In my niece's boyfriend's case, I am certain he could have stayed at the hotel and received comparable care from private doctors and physiotherapists for way less money. He certainly would have had a proper shower one way or the other. Even if he had to lie/sit on an air mattress in the shower. He didn't even get a shave in all that time.

I still don't understand much of it or why he was never moved to a room.