Sounds like you have a plan and it's coming together nicely. What a great experience for your family.

In terms of salaries, my impression is that government officials and consultants are extremely well paid, relative to similarly-sized places. Health-care workers and teachers seem less well paid. Your comparative pay probably depends a lot on your field.

Maybe it would be easier to focus on your take-home pay and expenses. The BVI has no income tax, but there is a social security tax and a new national health tax. You will still have to pay US taxes, but with the foreign income exclusion.

Your mom's household running expenses should be a good guide. We find insurance in the BVI is expensive, especially with only liability on our car and boat. We have an account with the same bank for many decades, but they now charge $35 - a month! - because we are American.

Importing furniture and household goods always costs more than I expect, more because of duty and fees than the actual shipping charges. Food is a lot more expensive, as you no doubt know. I would add 50% to your US food budget. While gas is more expensive, you won't be driving as far.

Cedar is a nice school, and a lot cheaper than private schools, particularly in Fairfield County.

We have neighbors, full-time residents, who were able to live (frugally) on US social security and limited investment income. It can be done.

Please keep us posted.