My wife and I are SXM addicts plain and simple. 10 years from a comfortable retirement ( absent a stock market collapse heaven forbid ) we plan on many weeks each year on the island. Maybe 12 or 15. This is a solid truth and we have only made 5 trips to the Carribean Heaven.

We reside in city of Cincinnati. Great for family, affordable housing... many other things but not weather and not affordable airfare. Next January round trip is $700. We will certainly be relocating.

The same dates from Tampa are $308. Almost $800 would remain in pocket for a trip. Not sure how that can be but it sure factors in when considering what we want to do. I am wondering if I am thinking rational when the airfare to/from SXM is such a priority.

I hope the island stays as is. Days at Orient, Mullet, Karakter.... Followed by dinners at Calmos, Pascal's , Skip Jack's dot dot dot fill our heads during the time between annual visits.

Am I alone in this regard? Another question. Has anyone recommended SXM to someone and had them complain about the recommendation? This would assume the people visiting have similar interest in vacation qualities.