Checking in at Cruz Bay is very straight forward. You can download the US forms and prefill them; if you don't know your boat registration information fill that in by hand when you do. If you draw 6' or less you can anchor right in the creek by customs.

Our favorite anchorages are Maho/Francis and Leinster. Maho has more turtles, rays and the occasional manta. Leinster has more starfish, cuttlefish and other grassy wee beasts.

The St. John anchorages are pristine. Closest to it in the BVI on our recent two week trip was Diamond Cay/Sandy Spit area. The kids' favorite anchorage across the VI was Maho Bay.

Remember to buy your BVI forms when you check out. You'll need one immigration form per person, one customs per family and one customs form for the boat.

Easiest approach? Have them take the ferry to Tortola. But, I'd give my crew their first night in Maho Bay. Pick them up in Cruz Bay and wait in one of the beach bars or restaurants near the ferry dock.

So, I agree with Capt. Jay to the point that we own our boat together. I chose to own a boat based at St. Thomas so that I can always start and end our trip in our favorite national park anchorages. Spending time in the our favorit harbor village in the VI helps to.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada