Watermaker requires the generator on Big Papa Lulu.

The watermaker on CYOA's Big Papa Lulu makes 25 gallons an hour. I don't know the exact current draw, but am guessing that it's comparable to an air-conditioner unit or two.
Water and ice tastes fine, though we bought bottled water before we knew we'd be in Big Papa, so we drank it.

We tried to keep water topped-off because I'm of a conservative nature, and if we had a generator or water maker problem I wanted to make sure we had a pretty full tank of water. Our strategy became to run the generator from 3pm-6pm and make water. Then we turned the watermaker off and made cool air with the AC units while cooking, and to get the cabins cool for sleeping. Running the watermaker and the AC units all at the same time is not recommended. Boats generators are generally not sized for the maximum possible load.

The ice-maker on Big Papa would keep a cooler cool with ice, and also make enough to do frozen drinks or drinks with ice. Big Papa also had a cockpit fridge, so keeping beer cold didn't require a cooler. To supplement cooling the drinks in the cockpit cooler we also made a gallon jug of ice every night in the freezer.

The icemaker drew 25 amps at 12 volts, so it was not a huge power hog (on the grand scheme of things). We ran the microwave on the inverter once, and it took 100 amps at 12 volts! Yikes!

We used 100 gallons of Diesel in 9 days, and filled up at Del Rey for $270. Big Papa holds 112 gallons, and I was getting a little nervous on the last day. This consumption seems pretty frugal to me, considering we were running the generator about 16 hours a day and also used the engines some. I'd MUCH rather have this set-up than be worrying the whole trip about where my next water stop is, and where I can get ice next. Water and ice are not cheap or available, and trading them for a few dollars in Diesel fuel seemed like a good deal to me.

Hope that helps!