Beerman the area around the Cinque is amazing. I was lucky enough to have (twist my arm) work in La Spezia which is fairly large town near the Cinque Terre. It is a very short ferry ride to the CT. There are other places close by also worth seeing. Lerici and Portovenere are two villages not to miss and far less crowded than the CT. Although in October it should be winding down.

La Spezia is not a tourist destination so if cost it a factor it can be more reasonable. As I said it is a short ferry or train ride to the CT. Ferry or Bus to Lerici and Portovenere. Let me know if you decide to head that way I can share some detailed info.

Of course Lake Como is way up there on my wife's list on our next trip. And that would be beautiful in October.

I know you are beer drinker, but you are very close to the Piedmonte and some AMAZING wine and food. Mid October starts the White Truffle Festival in Alba. Oh so much to do and so little time...

Enjoy your visit with your daughter and add a week to the trip!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés