Dane,I agree. I work in NYC and live there part time. Last year there were 328 murders with over 8.5 million full time residents (the lowest number of murders since 1963). That equates to 3.86 per 100,000 people. That is significantly lower than SXM. I feel safe in NYC but not in SXM. I will easily walk the streets of Manhattan after midnight but I would never do that in SXM. I still go to SXM but long ago stopped doing any late night activities. If not for the friendships developed over the years I probably would have found another travel destination in the Caribbean years ago. And it is not only murders that are on the rise - it is all crime. I can leave things in a parked locked car in NYC and expect them to be there when I return - not so in SXM. I truly hope that the governments of the island find a way to curtail the increase in crime. No matter how much people love a travel destination there is a finite amount of risk to their safety people will tolerate. I have almost reached my limit and I have been coming to SXM since 1985 when my family bought property in Cupecoy. Yes, there is crime everywhere bit it has gotten out of control on SXM IMHO.