NCSailor said:
jagmansr said:
Last year most of the charter companies did redline White Bay. Reason being it has more boat damage done than any other place in the BVI. There was a thread about this last year. We love sharing our boat and in doing so appreciate people respecting the investment in our boat. Most if not all owners expect the same. Why put your entire vacation at risk let alone increase the likelihood of damage just to sail into the most dangerous spot in the BVI when you can still get there with a 5 minute dingy ride?

You keep saying "most" charter companies have redlined White Bay. By "most" do you mean the number of boats or "most" by the number of invdividual companies regardless of the fleet size. Which charter companies have redlined?

Over time I expect all the operators have or will at one point ban visits to the place. I have decades of BVI charter charts that show the White Bay off limits. It depends on who is in charge at the moment. The insurance underwriter, marketing and sales arm, or the guys who have to fix the boats or explain to the next guest on the dock why their reserved yacht is unavailable. White Bay would never fit the definition of safe to the prudent mariner. Wide open for 180 degrees, very shallow area immediately adjacent to deep open water with one a narrow passage to get out. A very small, very shallow anchorage with an unforgiving shore. The place is textbook for disaster and there is real good history of boats lost there in minutes. On top of the small unsafe unprotected anchorage we load in drunks, amateurs, and their "helpful" crews, guests, and admirals. I have gone in there for years with rental boats. I would not take my own boat that was important to me in there. Too much risk from the guy I do not know next to me. Back to the charter operator. To them it is like running a skating rink. Some customers will get hurt, it is a cost of doing business. If the operators redlined all the areas that should be redlined. The proper places would be very crowded that is bad for business. No prudent mariner should be in Cane Garden or Deadmans Bay either. Back to White Bay before you go in there make sure you know whether the swell is forecast to change in size or direction. Make sure you and your entire crew is ready to exit at a moments notice. Otherwise be prepared to get off the boat and call the charter company to come get the boat parts off the beach/reef.