We were starting to get highway protests in the US over the summer where members of the Black Lives Matter group would shut a major freeway down in several cities across the nation on the same day. These protests are never sanctioned with permits as they endanger public safety. I find it massively counterproductive as for getting people to listen to your causes but that's just me. The major difference in the US compared to the island is the geographic size allows most to be inconvenienced but also able to find many alternate routes (the people on the highway are screwed however).

If I were behind this type of protest in the US with my pregnant wife that was having a medical emergency I would beep my horn and yell out the window to try to get them to move out of they then accelerate and plow through....I would not feel the least bit bad about any injuries/deaths that will occur as a result and I doubt a jury would blame me as well. I only say this because if theses type of protests continue to happen a situation similar to that is bound to occur and my prediction is that you will never see another protest like that again (tougher penalties for the protesters). Standing up for what you believe in or what you want changed is one thing but possibly endangering the public is entirely different. I realize that different cultures/countries do things entirely different but being different doesn't mean its right. Getting back to your resort 4 hours late is minor inconvenience, missing a plane/ship is a major inconvenience, dying because you are separated from the hospital or the ambulance can't get to you should be a criminal offense. These type of protests have probably never had any deaths attributed to them.....but that's probably more to do with luck rather than design.

Last edited by Mantas; 10/23/2015 04:26 AM.