I have been an unwilling participant (victim) of strikes (AIr France) and protests (cabs)in France and the potential for angst is included with every trip. It is VERY common and accepted and sometimes (mostly) announced before hand. I never thought it would be the same here.

Cruise passengers are one thing and it will be interesting to see if they actually held ships for 10-20 that didn't make it.

Airlines are another issue....it would sour me permanently if I left the French side to catch an afternoon flight home and ended up missing that flight and having to find another place to stay. Selfish? Of course...but word WILL get out. A traveling friend of mine who has never benn to SXM sent me this:

> From: <BridgetownACS@state.gov>
> Date: October 22, 2015 at 3:25:34 PM EDT
> Subject: Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Protests in French St. Martin
> Reply-To: <BridgetownACS@state.gov>
>
> United States Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados
>
> Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Protests in French St. Martin
>
> October 22, 2015
>
>
>
>
>
> The U.S. Embassy to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean has received reports of protests on French St. Martin and therefore alerts U.S. citizens to take caution if traveling in or to the island.
>
>
>
> The U.S. Embassy has received reports that protesters in St. Martin have shut down all road access to the city of Marigot and to Grand Case Airport. Protesters have reportedly threatened violence if their demands are not met.
>
>
>
> Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence without warning. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

.I never though mob rule would be called a good thing by anyone...but, wrong again

Last edited by boucharda; 10/23/2015 08:49 AM.