I'm not saying that you did expect to in this instance, but I don't think people should EVER expect to be able to cancel with no penalty. Not aimed at you in particular, but this is one of my pet peeves. To ME, I can't really see that much wrong with them charging a cancellation fee in your instance. We have run enough TTOL parties over the years, to know that people change their plans on island ALL the time. If people don't show up for a party, it's not normally a huge deal, other than if the proprietor has made a bunch of free snacks, or blocked off a section of a restaurant for them, but it is still an inconvenience for the business owner. That's totally understandable that people change their plans, as people who are on vacation don't want to be locked into a schedule like they are at home. The problem is, from a business-person's standpoint on island, they have to have some semblance of knowing what they are doing when and if they let everyone cancel for no money, and then they can't re-sell the seat, then they just lose money. And even in the circumstance where you don't have to give your credit card to make a reservation, if your plans change and you can't keep the reservation, I think people need to notify the business as soon as possible. Again, not aimed at you in particular, just this is a situation which I see all the time and the island business really is stuck either way they go.

Carol Hill