I am glad I decided to risk starting this thread, and it has taken a bit of a different turn than I expected. Seeing that 2 million cruise passenger number for 2014 really woke me up a bit. But they're not spread evenly, since cruise ships are not in port every day. So you have major traffic, then no traffic. I can really see how residents would be put off with all of that.
However, then you look at all of the revenue that comes in. If that revenue was not there, how much more would it cost the resident to live there? If the costs doubled, would it even be possible?

I think Kim has a very strong point, and that is the passenger count is being allowed to grow way past what the island can handle. But I wouldn't lay blame with the cruise lines. I think you have to look at the local governments. If the island is being overrun, then the government needs to put a limit on how many ships can come into port. But there will be a revenue reduction, and then everyone else is going to end up paying more to cover the revenue shortage.