I was their in Jan 2010. I do not know what it is like now. I was on a Trafalger tour and our group stayed near the pyramids as well. I believe we were able to walk to the evening light show at the pyramids. It was worth it, but very cool in the evening. The desert gets cold at night in January.

Since you have a group of ten, it would be a good idea to get the hotel to arrange a tour for you.

I went a day ahead of the group and as I went to leave the hotel on the first morning to get a cab to the museum, the doorman arranged a driver for me the day before the group tour started and I went to the Cairo museum for about 2 hours, and visited the step pyramid, took a camel ride to a underground tomb (it was just me and a guide in the tomb). The driver also took me to a carpet factory and a papyrus factory. He makes money if I buy things which I did. I biggest issue was that the driver did not stop for lunch.

I did not care for the dinner cruise, and may have gotten some bad food there as well.

Beach Hunter