I didn't used to think I liked pecan pie. It was always so sickly sweet, and I just couldn't enjoy it. Then I came across this recipe, which does not make use of corn syrup. The resulting pie is a lot more crumbly than a standard pecan pie, but I've found that most people very much enjoy it, or even prefer it to standard pecan pie. It always gets rave reviews at potlucks and holiday parties. So without further ado:

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans*
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp bourbon
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

• Preheat oven to 365 degrees F.
  • In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (brown sugar, white sugar and flour). Mix well.
  • In a separate container, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. (for this I usually use the measuring cup that I used to measure the sugars) Then add the milk, vanilla, and bourbon.
  • Combine the wet and dry ingredients; mix well. Finally, and the nuts.
  • Pour mixture into an unbaked 9-inch pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 365 degrees, then reduce temperature to 310 degrees. Slide pie out of oven and gently place intact pecan halves onto the top of the pie to decorate.
  • Slide the pie back in and resume baking for 45 to 55 minutes, or until done. When done the center will have turned about the same color as the surrounding area. Center will be soft but will harden as it cools.

* The quality of the pecans used makes a big difference in the flavor of the finished pie. I've found that most grocery stores never carry sufficiently fresh or flavorful pecans. I recommend buying some direct from the grower, which if you don't have any locally, can easily be done online here or here.

It makes it easier to slice this pie if you refrigerate it briefly first. But the flavors really come alive when served warm. I will usually zap each slice in the microwave for 5-10 seconds; just enough to awaken the flavors.

Serve with a good French Vanilla ice cream and/or fresh whipped cream. The rich creamy flavors of either of these two options go much better with the pie than something lighter and sweeter like Reddi Whip.