jboothe - the settee definitely did not convert. It seemed so logical but this was clearly a decision by FP to move in a different direction. There was however an awesome bar under the table smile - value not to be underestimated.

As to the spray over the bow to the helm, I would note that the swell period was shorter, and steeper, than usually associated with the breeze. Imagine 7-9' chop - lol. Every couple of waves the boat would go from 7.3kts to 3.8kts. So YMMV...

tothedogs - some days my 14 yr old son and me would swap who would "jump" the main halyard at the mast. But in either scenario it was only helpful to about the same point as when I "manually" pulled from the helm. We always had a reef and still needed to winch more than one would expect (prob last 1/3rd). Can only imagine if I had to go all the way up. Now in fairness to the Helia, (a) the main needs more sailcars/clips, and (b) when it is blowing as hard as it was it creates more friction. In perefect conditions, it certainly would be easier but sailing is rarely perfect. As for "jumping" the halyard, this is not a race and almost all cruising boats do not need the halyard to be jumped. Add to this fact that unless you raise in the harbor (which I dont do 50% of the time, esp if it is windy and crowded) you now face someone at the mast (not a secure spot on most cats) in a seaway. Also, in a seaway, threading the lazyjacks get even harder. So you are screaming at the mast (generally wife, friend or offspring as opposed to your race bowperson) "caught in jacks, lower two feet again!". Know you have all been there. Anyway, most of the boats I have chartered 45 or bigger have had a electric winch, and so did this one (also had a electric davit winch which was engaged and used everyday) but for some reason the owner did not want it used in charter (fair but users should know). And dont even get me started on how difficult and poorly thought out attaching the flat top main head to the halyard itself (two person job until I jury rigged a system to assist).
To be clear, the Helia 44 is a great boat! Many many pluses, but we sailors love to overanalyze systems/performance. I was excited b4 the charter than this boat might be my new favorite and it was not - the electric winch and settee would not have changed that. I could find something wrong with every charter boat Ive had over the years but rarely did it stop me from having the time of my life!!