Don't forget the rotisserie chickens at your local supermarket, I am sure you could freeze a whole one or he can stop in and quickly grab one on the way home. As far as boiling things in a ziploc bag, I don't do the cooking in plastic thing, I feel it is one of the reasons children today have so many allergies and so much asthma. Leave the plastic out of the heat! You could also pick up a honey baked ham or a spiral sliced ham (which you would have to cook yourself) at the store and cut it up and freeze it so it is available for a few meals and for sandwiches. There is nothing wrong with subs for dinner a few times either. You can always mix things up and have breakfast for dinner, nothing wrong with pancakes and eggs in the evening and simple to cook. Good luck with your surgery and don't sweat your kids eating, if they are hungry they will find something to eat and a couple weeks of mom out of commission won't kill them. Burgers and hot dogs on the grill are easy too and perhaps the kids can even help with that.

Sarah