Kryssa said:
I have significant sailing experience, but not enough to skipper my own bareboat, and my husband and I were thinking it would be nice to have the opportunity to just go out the two of us sometimes.
[color:"blue"]You are wrong, if you have significant sailing experience and a credit card, you can charter a boat. For sure.[/color]

What do you guys think is the best way to take sailing lessons in BVI? I think I would prefer to take a class where I'm also staying on the boat, but I would be open to staying on land as well.
[color:"blue"]Sailing courses, where you stay on the boat, are pretty much the norm. But really, if you can sail, I'd forego the class instruction. Sailing isn't that difficult. And in the BVI it's like beginners paradise.[/color]

Does anyone have an instructor or a company to recommend?
[color:"blue"]If I was going to recommend one for you it would be an ASA course, take it out of Tortola, check with Sunsail and see if Matt Holt is still instructing. I think he's moved up the ranks some because he was real good.[/color]

How important is it to get ASA or US Sailing certification?
[color:"blue"]Not important at all. If you are concerned about doing the bareboat thing in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar boat, hire a skipper for a day or two.. He can show you the ropes, familiarize you with the boats and it's nuances. He'll make a $150 or so a day.. but you'll save thousands over ASA courses. The charter company you rent from will have a list of skippers you can hire for a few hours.. They may even just send one out with you for 1/2 day to check your abilities and also familiarize you with the boat.[/color]

The goal would be to take the lessons on the next trip (7-10 days) then on the following trip, we would book a bareboat with a captain for the first day or two, then it's just my husband and I off on our own for the rest of that week smile smile smile
[color:"blue"]Seriously, if you can sail and know your stuff.. just go for it, you may not even need a skipper for a day. More likely, for 1/2 day.. take you out, raise the sails, drop the sails, pick up a mooring. Can't get easier than that.[/color]