What I heard was the origin of a lot of this is from Paris. That they are imposing new rules , or enforcing old French rules, that are upending what had become the understood island normal. Unfortunately, maybe that understood normal didn't have legal legitimacy that may now be being sought with actual record keeping and deeds and leases and taxes, etc, etc. . Kind of like 3rd world getting first world rules.....

As for the violence, had a 74 yr old lady cabbie take us from airport to orient and without prompting from us as some naredewells in Marigot blocked her way on purpose she lamented the young do not want to work and they want what they see on tv now. They have no patience. She says she locks her door at 7pm and only goes out at night to go to church. She said there are many guns and many people have guns for defense but the police when they come will charge you for not running. A friend of hers had to shoot an intruder and he was charged. She said he told the judge "what was I to do, run and leave my wife and child behind, the judge dismissed the charges."

That said, we're booked for next New Years and we have always been cautious at home and around the world and know to avoid anything we aren't fully comfortable with.

It is their island and their economy largely depends on servicing us.