Thank you all for keeping the thread informative and current. I went down to Mullet Bay (near airport) from Oyster Bay (staying here) for a beach day, then up to Marigot to get a Cappuccino at Sarafina's. Checked this site for updates and found the road was open! It is easier to get from Marigot to Orient Bay without having to swing down thru Simpson Bay and Phillipsburg.

Regarding the protests, I spoke to a guy at a nearby service station, indicated that the roads are open for now but no guarrantees with the road block going back up in future. The problems are unresolved, and there is no real sense of progress. As indicated by someone on this thread and repeated to me, a car was set on fire and the law enforcement used teargas to dispurse the crowd. Point here is they do have the right to protest peacefully, setting fire to the car was not a peaceful act, and therefore law enforcement could intervene.

Last point, I would be less than trurhful if I didn't admit this event influenced my question to return vs other vacation options. I truly understand all the rhetoric regarding rights to assemble peacefully and we certainly embrace that right, but when the total economy is driven from ~87% tourism and a barracade was up for 3 days on 1 of two primary roads, I simply don't trust the rationale to let such a dispute get to this frustration level.

Thanks again everyone. Out tomorrow ...