I would emphatically echo Malcolm's statement. I too have had several horrible experiences flying through San Juan.

The first time, returning from Toronto, my flight to Tortola was cancelled. Because of the way the travel agent here on Tortola booked the flight, American claimed they were not responsible and would not pay for a hotel.

I had "blown the wad" in Toronto and I don't own a credit card, so spent the night at the airport. No fun at all.

Another time, it took so long to go through the TSA check point, I missed my flight despite being there in plenty of time. Someone from a different airline from the one I was using, came through the line twice calling all passengers for this flight or that to the front of the line and ahead of me. They were late getting into line because their flights had been delayed.

They made their flight and I didn't, despite the fact that had they [color:"red"]not[/color] been called ahead of me, I would have easily made my flight. I was once again told that the airline wasn't responsible and had to pay for a hotel room overnight.

On another occasion, I was hauled aside for a physical pat down ... for no reason at all. The woman who patted me down took exception to my voicing my opinion that it would be pretty hard to hide any weapon or illegal substance considering I was wearing a pair of shorts with no pockets, a t-shirt and flip flops. I guess that was the wrong thing to say, because she sent me for an internal search. Very humiliating and time-consuming. I missed my flight AGAIN!

Twice I had things stolen from my checked luggage and once, my brother-in-law was made to check his carry-on. Naturally, he had valuables in the carry-on and asked if he could take them out before checking the bag. The lady at the counter said there was no time, took the bag and when we reached Tortola, all his valuables (including about $2,400.00 in cash) had been stolen. It took the thieves no time at all because it went right out to the tarmac. The bag wasn't out of our sight for more than 5 minutes before it was loaded into the plane.

I will [color:"red"]NEVER[/color] fly through Puerto Rico again as long as I live. TSA agents are rude and aggressive, the TSA line ups are ridiculously long and all too often, flights are cancelled.

Any chance I get, I fly to St. Maarten and then wherever I may be going ... but if that option isn't available, I take the ferry to St. Thomas.