|
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,010
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 2,734
Joined: March 2008
|
|
|
18 members (DaveinFL, calle313, S/Y Mockingbird, nevar37, tangerine3, eyknoll, StMartinFan, SharonfromSXM, mahokid, CaribbeanCanadians, snmhanson, Rumlover, marksxm, louismcc, 2Travelers, 3 invisible),
424
guests, and
119
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 217
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 217 |
Purchased the Navionics Caribbean charts for my iPhone. Any thoughts on how these compare to Garmin Bluecharts? Thinking of leaving the handheld Garmin at home and just using the iPhone. Also, anyone have a good anchor alarm app suggestion for the iPhone?
Sean
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,166 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,166 Likes: 1 |
I very much prefer the charts on my navioncs running on my iPad.
I like the garmin for extra information about places, i.e. Marina details etc.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 239
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 239 |
Does Navionics work when you have no data connection?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
Almost all the chart plotters in the BVI run Navionics. For that reason I use Bluecharts on my IPad. There are often differences between the two. Blue charts perhaps a bit more accurate but probably to close to call. G
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 28 |
Yes, Navionics will work without data provided you have downloaded the area map in advance.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 239
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 239 |
I have a uso 30r bluechart chip in my hand held. Nice thing is I have all my waypoints added. Got this chip in 2010. There does not seem to be chips like this available so I think technology has passed this by. May just try the navionics. Has anyone used memory maps?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 483
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 483 |
While iNavX is a great tool, I switched to Garmin Bluecharts for our charters. Here are the main reasons why. Some of the reasons may be a couple of years old now, but I’ve been happy and haven’t looked back. 1. Charts are MUCH less expensive on Garmin. 2. Charts are MUCH easier to purchase and download through the App Store versus setting up X-Traverse Maps, downloading the charts, etc. 3. I like the Active Captain integration for Garmin (though you don’t need it as much in the BVI’s with this great TTOL board on your side). 4. I liked being able to plan out my routes and waypoints on my iPad and then easily email them over to my phone. So that way I knew I had a couple of backups to my primary device, which was my iPad with a Nuud waterproof case and RAM mount. Yes, it all works offline so long as you have a 3G/4G device with the GPS chip in it. Here is another thread on this topic. TTOL Navionics versus Bluecharts thread In that thread, I posted this Garmin promo video if it helps. Bluecharts mobile promo video
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 67 |
Another option to consider: iSailor
I used iSailor on my last trip and liked it better than Garmin, but for the occasional charter, I don't think it will make a difference.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 217
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 217 |
Interesting. I wasn't aware that Garmin had a similar app -- my bluecharts are loaded on a SD card that I insert in my Garmin handheld.
Related question, for those using Navionics, do you use the standard charts or the sonarcharts?
Sean
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 80
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 80 |
I use Navionics on an Android tablet in BVI and its great. I've never run aground and I always point in the right direction.
iNavX is horrible, people. You have to know in advance which charts you need to look at.
MX Mariner for Android is steller. It automatically zooms you to the right chart and zoom-level for your GPS coordinates. It stitches the charts together automatically. Super clean experience and Free IIRC.
MX Mariner in the US + Navionics in BVI and Europe and you can't go wrong.
Also, I use the standard charts. And like I said, I've never had the charts do me wrong. We're talking line-of-sight navigation and piloting here.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 322 Likes: 4
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 322 Likes: 4 |
We are in the BVI now and I have used iSailor on my phone the whole time without a need for the onboard chart plotter. The app is intuitive and accurate. I have also used an app called Anchor that is also intuitive and accurate. However, make sure you set the anchor point correctly and the range so you don't get inadvertent alarms. Our alarm went off at 1:30 am in White Bay (Jost) the other night. Let's just say that I amost needed to change shorts after being awakened by the alarm on this app! Not a good feeling for a first time bare boater on anchor the 2nd night of the trip.
|
|
|
|
|