Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
jeverny, JimE
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Colour1, Jeannius, BillDauterive, George1234, 2 invisible), 799 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
2nd BVI adventure booked! #103785
07/27/2016 09:32 AM
07/27/2016 09:32 AM
Ottawa, Canada
UncleLuff Offline OP
Traveler
UncleLuff  Offline OP
Traveler
Ottawa, Canada
Happy to say that after a very successful BVI adventure, My co-captain and I have booked two boats for next July (June 22 - 28th). Just starting planning right know. Since last trip was just the two couples this trip will be the two families including GMs and GD. know it is a delicate balance on what to revisit and what new islands to explore.

Last trip we went:
- Cooper
- Leverick bay (2 nights)
- Cane Garden
- Great Harbour, (JVD)
- Norman

On the list of revisit - Friday Night BBQ at Leverick; Norman; JVD

On the list of new places to explore - Anegada, Peter Island

Any other suggestions on other islands to overnight?

thx...

BVI Sponsors
Re: 2nd BVI adventure booked! [Re: UncleLuff] #103786
07/27/2016 12:26 PM
07/27/2016 12:26 PM
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline
Traveler
S
Pacific NW
You could spend another day in North-Sound at The Bitter End/Saba. Saba has a good happy hour and the moorings there are nice and breezy - and I believe less expensive than at the BEYC. You can rent Hobie Cats at the BEYC for some fun.

Maybe Marina Cay or Trellis? I'd personally choose Marina Cay over Trellis, but others like Trellis.

You could take a slip at Scrub Island and use their pool and facilities. Some people don't like it, though we personally love a day at Scrub. It is a resort made primarily out of concrete (with a great pool though) so you have to decide it it's for you or not.

Anegada is an option. It's a bit more sailing, but not terrible even for a one night stay. Just leave North-Sound early to get there around noon so you have plenty of time to explore. Take a taxi or rent a car to get to the North side of the island. Then leave the moorage late in the morning the next day for a nice sail back to Tortola. Make sure you discuss Anegada with your charter company and become familiar with the entrance before getting there. One or more of the channel markers are sometimes missing and we found our chart plotter to not be very reliable on one of our approaches. I myself don't think I'd try to fit Anegada in on a one week or less charter, but I also prefer the other islands in general over Anegada. There are others though who would be happy spending their entire charter anchored in Anegada.

You could check out Diamond Cay on JVD, unless you are set on staying at Great Harbour again. Diamond Cay is more low key with only one restaurant/bar. It is close to the bubbly pool and you can dinghy to Sandy Spit in decent conditions.

Just a couple thoughts/ideas for you. Have fun!

Re: 2nd BVI adventure booked! [Re: snmhanson] #103787
07/27/2016 08:32 PM
07/27/2016 08:32 PM
Memphis, TN
beerMe Offline
Traveler
beerMe  Offline
Traveler
Memphis, TN
How about the Baths? We had one reluctant sailor that found it the highlight of his trip.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!
Re: 2nd BVI adventure booked! [Re: beerMe] #103788
07/29/2016 03:48 PM
07/29/2016 03:48 PM
Ottawa, Canada
UncleLuff Offline OP
Traveler
UncleLuff  Offline OP
Traveler
Ottawa, Canada
thanks for the input. We will be going to the baths it will just be a question as to whether we swim in or rent a vehicle... Anegada is definitely on the list. will be sure to check the approach and entry very carefully.