|
Forums39
Topics41,951
Posts342,014
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 21,591
Joined: March 2009
|
|
|
11 members (ronnieernie, IcedCarib, Steve&Rachel, DanS, MrEZgoin, Lucyann, 5 invisible),
1,108
guests, and
51
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 287 Likes: 3
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 287 Likes: 3 |
We are currently booked on a Moorings 3900 for the week of June 24th. Two adult couples and one child. We can upgrade to the Moorings 4000 for $1,400 more. Can anyone with experience with both boats tell me if this is worth it? Besides a foot or two more hull and a very slight increase in beam, the size really doesn't seem to be a factor. I do see the door leading out the front of the salon to the tramp which may be a good idea because we have a 6-year old. Maybe there are some significant amenities improvements?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Mark Shichtman "Live for Today!"
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514 Likes: 78
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514 Likes: 78 |
I can think of many better ways of spending that $1,400....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,166 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,166 Likes: 1 |
Mal,
Could we start a list? It might be fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040 |
I did the 3900 with my wife and six year old last year. It was perfect for us. Use the $1400 on beer and nice dinners ashore.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,722 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,722 Likes: 1 |
If I was in your position and the $1400 wasn't going to impact anything and was money to burn, then I'd do it. Otherwise, it is probably not worth it.
Without a doubt I prefer the 4000 as the layout makes it seem FAR more spacious then the 3900 and the forward galley is part of that and an awesome feature. Access to the bow is nice as well. But I'm not sure its worth paying extra.
What you might be able to do is as you get closer see about negotiating a lower cost for the upgrade - even now, you might be able to get them to reduce it a bit.
Matt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 296
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 296 |
Even though many people say new boats are just as likely to have issues, we prefer to charter as new of a boat as possible. If the 4000 is only 1-2 years old and the 3900 was 5 years old, I'd spend the money, but first see if they will negotiate down a bit.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,722 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,722 Likes: 1 |
They likely won't give the age. I am pretty sure the 3900 could be from 2-5 years old. Where the 4000 would be new to 1 years old most likely. I don't think they've had 4000 much longer then that.
Matt
|
|
|
|
|