RonDon 85
fabila 47
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (TRIM, jazzgal, WWII, ydrwrb1, Instigator, steve74, toast, SXMNAN, bbeach, 706jim, TravelHat, fabila, SXMScubaman, Kennys, GeorgeC1, 8 invisible), 768 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
April trip #128134
04/23/2017 11:03 AM
04/23/2017 11:03 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content OP
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content OP
Traveler
GA/NC
Headed down to the BVI in mid April. All flights were on time and ferries were also on time. Only negative on the travel end was a very long time clearing customs in Roadtown. First night on the dock at the Moorings with dinner at the pool. Food was off the bar menu and ok. The boat was provisioned by the Moorings and everything was fine other then regular Oreos rather then the double stuffed that I had ordered. They don't seem to grasp the importance of extra filling!

First day discovered mainsail tack was jury rigged. Looked like over zealous use of a electric winch. Did a quick 180 back to the dock to have the Moorings put a proper shackle on it. Suspect a previous charter. Headed to Norman for the night. Dinner was at the WillyT. If you have read my past post I have always been a fan of their food. This was a big exception. The fresh caught Wahoo was sliced very thin and cooked to something close to Jerky. Rest of the meals no better. Lots of open drug use on the boat which is not the norm at the dinning tables. Left quickly since we had two 6 year olds. Not sure I will go back in May. Conditions were calm with winds under five knots the first 4 days. Headed to the Indians at 7AM to find as mentioned in another post most of the balls taken by overnighting boats. Grabbed one of the last balls and had a great snorkel and left as people seemed to be just getting up on the other boats.

Day two we were off to Cooper. Dive at the Rhone in route. Excellent visibility and nice dive with zero current. About as good as it gets at the Rhine. Only negative was watching a USVI based dive boat blast through the anchorage at high speed with lots of divers and snorkelers in the water. Cooper was great and the Happy Hour excellent as always. Dinner on the boat. To be continued

BVI Sponsors
Re: April trip [Re: GeorgeC1] #128135
04/23/2017 11:27 AM
04/23/2017 11:27 AM
GA/NC
Traveler
Traveler
GA/NC
Part two
Day three went up to the baths. Arrived about 7:15 and again in the calm conditions lots of overnight boats. Got a ball near Devils Bay. When getting ready to leave it looked like NYC at rush hour. Lots of boats circling outside the swim buoys after dropping of day trippers from the cruise ships in port. Any ball vacated was quickly snatched up by the circling power boats. I signaled a waiting cat that we were leaving and he moved up to get our ball. A center console waiting to pickup cruise ship people jumped right in front of him to grab our ball. Times are changing!

Headed over to the dogs to find lots of empty balls and great snorkeling. Good visibility and as always scenic. From there up to Leverick Bay for Friday night BBque and music. Everyone at Leverick was outstanding from the dock staff to the dining staff. Great night and my hats off to Nick. Hope the owners take good care of him as he transformed the place over the last 15 years. From the North Sound headed out to the Chikuzen for a dive. Bit of a North Swell and visibility down a bit but still a good dive. There is now a new resident Goliath grouper. He is not the monster that was once on the boat but is getting bigger! Very Friendly also!

Re: April trip [Re: GeorgeC1] #128136
04/23/2017 11:38 AM
04/23/2017 11:38 AM
GA/NC
Traveler
Traveler
GA/NC
Part threeh

Went to Monkey point from there however the small swell limited the visibility. Tarpon were around and the kids loved swimming with them. Spent the night in CGB with dinner on the boat. Lunch at the Soggy Dollar the next day. Great lunch and the Roti's were as good as they get! Winds were increasing to 20 knots. Stayed that way for the rest of the trip. After lunch a spirited sail to White Bay on Peter for a quiet overnight. With winds 20 knots plus and showers forecast wanted to be on the anchor.
Next day back up to Cooper to Dive wreck alley. Only decent place to dive with the high winds. Two Cats anchored on Coral just past Cistern point. Very bad form! The diving was good however sadly someone made a visit to the motor barge and torched both props off the shafts. I guess the props had salvage value and someone stole them! A great photo op is gone forever. Spent the night at Peter again with the winds howling! Back to the Moorings early for the return home. No issues other the another really long customs wait. Customs is wearing on me! Got a kick out of the AA staff making people pull stuff out of their bags to reach the 50 lbs limit only to have them put the stuff right back in waiting on customs. Overall a good trip! Back again May 14th!
George

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 04/23/2017 11:40 AM.
Re: April trip [Re: GeorgeC1] #128137
04/23/2017 01:00 PM
04/23/2017 01:00 PM
B
BoatDrinks2 Offline
Traveler
BoatDrinks2  Offline
Traveler
B
Thanks for the report George! I look forward to catching up on the phone.

Re: April trip [Re: BoatDrinks2] #128138
04/24/2017 10:42 AM
04/24/2017 10:42 AM
California
suzkoop Offline
Traveler
suzkoop  Offline
Traveler
California
Thanks for the trip report! I'm getting excited for my trip at the end of May.
Suzanne