Just got back from three weeks in paradise. This was the 7th visit to SXM and had the best time of all.<br><br>This year I meet up with friends that live on the island and did less "tourist" things than other years. My friend Neil has a 40' Catamaran that does day charters and sunset lagoon cruises from the dock at Turtle Pier Restaurant. I helped crew the boat on most days and had a great time for a non-sailor. The sunset cruise is the best deal for visitors at $25 per person that includes open bar and an hour and a half tour on the calm waters of Simpson Bay. The hostess, Jill, gives an interesting monologue on points of interest and homes of the rich and famous. If anyone is interested just email me and I can get you in Internet contact with Neil for reservation or information.<br><br>The flight down and back on American was uneventful except that I only just made my connection in San Juan after the long wait for luggage in customs. <br><br>The island was very dry and brown, as they had not had much rain. In the three weeks I was there I only had one cloudy/rainy day. There was of course the quick shower, which comes and goes in a few minutes approximately once a day. They were having a problem with some brush fires on the hillsides, as the Fire Chief reported in the Daily Herald that their equipment could not reach some places on the steep hillsides.<br>But I think most of these problems will self-correct once the rainy seasons gets in full swing. I just hope they don't have any more hurricanes like Lenny.<br><br>I rented a car from Alain at AAA and had no problems. They were there to meet me at the airport and had me on my way with in a few minutes. I dropped the car off at the airport on the way home with no delays or problems. I had no accidents for a driver who got into the island spirit of driving after three weeks and no break-ins, even with staying some days on my favorite beach (Plum) which is pretty deserted. All it takes is reasonable care and some common sense.<br><br>I only dined out in tourist restaurants a few nights, eating mostly at out of the way local cafes with my island friends or Bar-B-Qing. But I did go to Grand Case a few nights. L'Alabama was the best of the trip. Karin and Pascal were the most gracious hosts and the food was excellent. They also had my favorite wine, Pouilly-Fuisse, by the glass, which just made my day. L'Escapade was a bit of a disappointment this year, OK food but poor service. The waitress brought me the wrong meal and when she came back with the right one, it was on the same plate with the wrong (old) side dishes. I had the best breakfast at Turtle Pier. The worst food was both breakfast and dinner at Don Carlos. The chicken fahieta was down right uneatable and my friend had the lamb special which was also not very good. I would not recommend them for anything.<br>(But keep in mind the management and staff of restaurants changes all the time.)<br><br> <br>My favorite thing to do was go to the bakery next to U.S.Import/Export in Sandy Ground in the morning and get a fresh baguette. They are recommended as the best on the island. Then pick up cold cuts and make sandwiches, then head to Baie Aux Prunes (Plum Beach) with a cooler of cold drinks. Plum Beach is my favorite because it is very quiet with no bars or facilities. I don't think there were ever more than a dozen people at any one time on the beach. There is lots of sand and calm water with almost no rocks unlike Baie Rouge. <br><br>I did go to Orient Beach about 20% of the time to people watch and visit Club O, but Orient is getting pretty crowded. Now don't get me wrong, it is were the action is, but sometimes I just like a little peace and quite. With so many wonderful beaches on the island there is one for everyone AND anyone.<br><br>I celebrated my birthday at the Sunset Beach Bar with Neil Rooney and (tidy) Heidi the Ms. Clean of bartenders. I left my half-empty Carib at the bar while I went to the restroom only to come back and she had cleared it away. She got me a replacement right away but the really funny thing is she did this to me twice. When she and Neil found out it was my birthday they both bought me the shooter special of the day "Surfer on Acid", which I have no idea what was in it, but I drank them anyway, and after an untold number of Caribs I had had a heck of a birthday. Neil is a great guy and I swapped him a TT Flag for a Sunset Beach Bar flag. So everybody look for the flag at the bar and on the webcam.<br><br>As to crime, I didn't see any but there was a killing reported in the paper. Some Colombian got whacked at a party, two to the back of the head; most defiantly a drug related problem. This does not make SXM a bad place, but just another place on earth where drugs have ruined lives and created heartache, not unlike the United States. I did not see too many stray dogs, most had collars and tags but no owners in tow. The paper reported that the police might start picking up strays. I also did not see more national police around but there were private security guards everywhere (stores, parking lots, hotels, timeshares, beaches) and never felt unsafe. <br><br>Well I guess this is a pretty good summery of my stay in MY PARADISE. I'm already planning my next trip. If anyone wants anymore detail on anything I reported, just email me.<br><br>GaryB.. <br>[Linked Image]<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 11/13/00 12:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GaryB