This was our first trip to Florida. It was an odd experience, not because Fort Myers Beach is not nice – it is very nice but we really did not see much. I won’t elaborate on why (in hindsight we should have “fixed” that). We did, however, shop and eat in a few interesting places so I’ll write about that, in case others are interested.

Day 1: No problem with the flight down. We had found a seat sale from Delta which scored us two return tickets from Toronto to Fort Myers, via Atlanta, for about $800.00 CAD total. Everything went on time and the transfer between planes in Atlanta was very easy. I quite like Atlanta airport and the people there were very friendly and helpful

Our hosts picked us up at the airport in Fort Myers and we drove to the condo we were all staying in. The condo was right on the beach and just across from a small plaza.

Now, my husband and I are not big foodies and our hosts, as it turned out, are even more casual about eating. As soon as we arrived, they suggested that they would take us to the local Publix so we could buy whatever we ate for breakfast, as they did not eat breakfast, just had coffee. So, off we went to the grocery store, little knowing at that time that we would get to visit Publix just about every day while we were there. I was encouraged to buy dinner there, too, and so, that night we had Publix fried chicken, salads and rolls and wine. Not too bad. Really.

Day 2: We all spent some time on the beach. Fort Myers Beach runs for miles, it seems.
Long, long stretches of pale sand, with tidal pools here and there and ibis, egrets, pelicans and even a small group of flamingos. Very pleasant. After the beach, we headed off to a different Publix, where I was again encouraged to purchase dinner from the prepared food section. This time, it was mostly Chinese food. Not too bad. Really.

Day3: Pouring rain most of the day and quite cool. Not really a problem for me. I quite like a rainy day – but just one. I had brought along plenty of books and was happy to sit and read. Hubby brought along his Netbook and was content to work on that. Our hosts watched television but suggested that we should go out for dinner. We booked at South Beach Grille, which was just across the street from where we were staying.

By then, I had had enough of Publix food and I was ready to sit down and order from a menu. South Beach Grille is in the Santini Marina Plaza, just across from the condo. Very nice place, friendly staff, a variety of specials. Hubby and I both had the mahi mahi, our hosts had the pork tenderloin and shrimp stir fry respectively. The lady and I had crème brulee for dessert. My dinner was excellent and everyone else seemed quite happy with theirs.

I ordered my favourite drink before dinner – a Manhattan. I do like it when they ask, as they did, if you want it made with whisky or bourbon so I can tell them I want it with Southern Comfort. At any rate, they make a good Manhattan.

Day 4: This day was pretty much taken up with shopping. In the morning, while our hosts went for a walk, my hubby and I headed across to the plaza we had were in the previous night. I had seen a few gift and clothing stores I wanted to explore and so, off we go. When we got back, our hosts returned from their walk and told us that they would take us to a better shopping area. We headed out to a plaza that has a Beall’s store that interested me, and a Staples that interested my husband. I did a bit of shopping, picking up clothes for my Mom and our two granddaughters. After Beall’s, we headed to the Waterside Shops in Naples. Wow, this is shopping. Seriously high-end stores. I bought some gifts for the neighbours who were looking after our house. Later we had dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen, which our host said was his favourite restaurant down there. I ordered the artichoke and spinach, hubby had Hawaiian, the lady had pear and gorgonzola and our host had pepperoni. Again, the staff was pleasant and the Manhattan was good, even if it came straight up in a tumbler. The waiter said they only had three martini glasses in the bar and they were all in use. What?!? I would have thought that many more people than me would order drinks that come in martini glasses but, never mind, the Manhattan was fine. Left-over pizza was packed up and taken with us. Perhaps we can save ourselves a trip to Publix.

Day 5: We all started off the day with a morning beach walk! For an hour, we walk north, examining the condos and resorts that edge the beach, checking out birds and a fin that keeps appearing out in the water. People tell us it is a dolphin making its way down the coast. We also examine a lot of blobs in the sand that appear to be some sort of jelly fish. No one seems to know for sure but we leave them alone anyway.

In the afternoon, we spend a bit more time on the beach. For dinner, we make plans to go to the Bayfront Bistro.

Bayfront Bistro is a snazzy place, on the lagoon, behind the (dare I say it?) Publix parking lot. We are eating early but the place fills up quickly. I have salmon, hubby has mahi-mahi, the lady has butterfish and our host has ribs. Appetizers are crab cakes and sweet fire shrimp. I’m not one for sharing food around the table but the lady host insists we try her fish and that she try our meals, especially the mahi-mahi which she wanted but thought would be too spicy for her. It is. Good thing she didn’t order it. No dessert tonight but I’m now up to two Manhattan’s per meal, especially as our host sent the wine list away right at the start of the meal. No Southern Comfort here. O.K. I’ll have mine with bourbon. Excellent!

Day6: Our hosts are too tired to walk today so we spend some time on the beach again.

Later some other folks in the condo invite us for drinks and to watch the sunset. Our hosts say we will watch the sunset and then go and get sandwiches from Subway across the street. O.K. I’ve said I’m not a foodie, granted, but this is pushing it. However, we get a call saying that, due to the time change for Daylight Savings Time, the sun will set later that night and we should therefore not come until later. Now our host is upset, as we will not be able to go out for Subway sandwiches and get back in time for the sunset. So the lady and I head for the fridge and make a “meal” out of everything that is left in there, some sort of miracle, almost biblical, like the loaves and the fishes. Very strange. I will need a lot of wine, if it is on offer, at the sunset viewing. In fact, I’ll bring my own.

After this amazing repast, we watched the sunset, had a glass of wine each and then left. I did offer to go across the street and pick up Subway sandwiches no one was interested. Never mind.

Day 7: Today, our hosts took us shopping again. We head to The Village on Venetian Bay. Again, this is very high end shopping. I bought a gift for my sister and for the lady I volunteer with back home and some cute stuff for the granddaughters. We had lunch at MiraMare restaurant. Our host suggested it, as it was on the waterfront. I have the tilapia and salad, my hubby and the host have Philly Cheese steak each and the lady has some sort of pasta. The food was tasty, the service fast, the clientele really interesting.

On the way back, we stop at Beall’s again, and Publix, where I purchase dinner once again.

We are leaving the next day and, as our host does not like to drive in the dark, I call Errol’s Taxi and book a car for some un-godly hour of the morning.

Now, a word about Errol’s Taxi, which operates on the beach in Fort Myers. Often, in the oddest places, I experience something that restores my faith in mankind. The fellow who picked us up in the wee hours told us he had once been the owner of the taxi company had sold the company but still worked for it. At that hour, he seemed to be in charge, giving directions, advice and pricing to other drivers. As we headed for the airport, another driver called in, saying he had found a young man somewhere on the beach road who needed to travel some distance but only had $20.00 on him. It was fairly obvious that the young man’s trip should cost more than that. Our driver said “That’ll be O.K. Take him anyway.” It occurred to me then that if that young man had been my step-son or one of my nephews, I’d like him to have run into someone from Errol’s Taxi. Good on ya, Errol!

Our trip home was uneventful, except for ever-changing departure gates, a game I feel the airlines in the USA like to play with travellers.

One question: What is going on with carry-on bags? We paid $50.00 each way to check our two bags ($25.00 each). Then I get to the gate and see folks with carry-ons that, no kidding, are bigger than my checked bag. One young woman argued ferociously with the attendant at the departure gate that she was not going to check her bag, even when offered free bag check to save room in the overhead bins. She insisted she had to make a connection, to which the attendant replied that everyone had to make a connection. Even when asked to try and get her bag into the gizmo that, supposedly, measures carry-on size, she refused. When the flight began to board, this same woman barged ahead of everyone else, dragging this steamer trunk down the ramp. Also, on both legs of the flight, boarding was delayed by people trying to squeeze carry-ons the size of coffins into the overhead bins. How I wish someone at the airlines would take a real stand on this!

Would I go back to Florida? Yes, indeed. I’d like to see much more of it. And a little less of Publix.