Thursday 16/12/10 –
This year I am taking my 25 year old son, Nick, to the windwards with me, it will be the first time he has been to the Caribbean and also his first time on a yacht.
Flew Jet Blue BUF-JFK-UVF, flights were uneventful and on time. During our layover we asked around and found a young Vincentian couple to share a cab with. The damage from the hurricane through the middle of the island was very evident, but it looks like life is getting back to normal. Once we got to the marina we dropped off the 2 suitcases of relief supplies we brought as the ARC organizers have a collection point there.
It is great to be back on Skyelark, I was finally able to congratulate Dan and Em on their engagement in person. Nick was impressed with the boat, especially the classic look of the wood interior.
After unpacking we went to H2O for a couple drinks and a quick bite. We ordered Jerk Chicken wraps, not bad but a little pricy at $24 EC. Met up with some old friends, who have also crossed in the ARC and we all took the shuttle to Pigeon Island for the ARC costume party. Good rum punch, but I can only listen to so much steel band music. Went back to the boat and caught some well needed rest, except for Nick who met a couple Irishmen in H2O and together they tried to drink all the Bushmills in the place.
Friday 17/12/10
Breakfast toastie and coffee at Café Ole’, $16 EC. I took the bus to the strip and got a new sim card for my phone, $15 EC with $10 EC credit on it. On the way back I had a coconut with the jelly, very refreshing. Nick rolled out of bed about noon, so we grabbed the bus back to the strip and walked down to Reduit Beach. After a couple hours of swimming and sunning we stopped at Spinnakers for a drink, then back to the marina. Later that evening we met the Dutch couple that will be joining us on the charter. We all went to H2O for a drink and then to Bosons for Thai. I had the lamb curry, nothing spectacular. The restaurants at the marina are convenient, but a bit pricey. That night we enjoyed the live band at the ARC party. Nick rolled in about 8:00 am, he went out partying with the band after they finished. I am glad he is having so much fun. I had told him that except for Bequia, this will be the most nightlife we will be seeing so he is taking full advantage of it.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!