Hubby and I returned last week after 3 weeks in St. Martin. We were yearly visitors until 5 years ago. Everyone we met were very friendly and helpful. We had no problems with safety but we were careful. Rented a great condo on Simpson Bay - great beach for walking, tanning and swimming -also walking distance to Mary's Boom and Karater. Enjoyed the Regatta and walking Marigot and Philipsburg - had some great drinks. Also enjoyed drinks and watching the boats from the Simpson Bay Yatch Club when the bridge went up. The restaurants were the second biggest attraction after the beaches for us. Very disappointed! The night we went to the Boat House they were hosting a gradution for the Caribbean Youth Group - cold food, terrible service and jammed into the small dinning area closest to the entrance. While spending a day on Dawn Beach we were approached by a merchant from Beau Beau's and given a coupon for 3 different lunch sandwiches and a beer or soft drink for $6. We had always gone to Mr. Busby's but decided to try something new. When ordering we attempted to give the waitor the coupon and were told he didn't need it. When our bill came, instead of being $12 for 2 lunches it was $26. We were told we were not specific about wanting the $6 deal. The drinks, salads and steaks at Rancho were delicious. Too full for dessert so we took 2 flans for $8.50 each home. Instead of getting 2 nicely formed flans we had 2 heaps of mushy watery custard - very unappealing. Had breakfast at Royal Turtle Inn. I enjoyed my eggs benedict but hubby's pancakes were slopped onto the plate in lots of pieces - looked like he got the left over scrapings from others. Waited 1 hour and 35 minutes for food at Curry in a Hurry. Were told numberous times that our food was coming. Enjoyed Lee's Roadside Grill, Pizza Gally,and both the Tropicana and La Vie en Rose in Marigot (wish the main dining room had been open but food in the lower level cafe was great.)Experienced several other terrible meals. In general we were very disappointed with the food. This will most certainly effect our decision to return.