This was our 10th trip to the Island and a slightly belated celebration of our 15th wedding anniversary and a birthday of mine on 10/28. It was our intention this trip to be very low key and try some of the locally owned eateries and just plain relax the rest of the time and let sand gravity take over. The weather the entire week was beautiful with sunny weather and just a few brief showers here and there. The humidity was low and there was always a nice breeze blowing and the Island was very green and lush.

Flights – Since we live just outside Atlanta we take Delta and their nonstop flights to SXM. Left right on time at 9:55am on 10/22 and arrived at just before 2pm which was a little early. Made it through customs in less than 10 minutes and waited for our luggage for 10-15 minutes and we were on our way. On 10/29 our 3:25pm return flight left right on time and landed in Atlanta at about 7pm which was a half hour early. However, had to sit on the runway for about 15-20 minutes as our gate was occupied. Made it through customs pretty easily but had a very long wait to first claim our luggage and then another long wait in the main terminal after the luggage had been rechecked. All in all it was almost 2 hours from the time we deplaned to leaving the terminal to head home.

At the suggestion of some posters on this board we decided to try the business class lounge at the PJIA Airport rather than waiting in the main terminal prior to our departure home. The cost was $20.00 per person but includes complimentary wine, soft drinks as well as hot and cold snacks. Beer is $3.00 and I didn’t ask about mixed drinks. Since we are wine drinkers except for the entry fee nothing else was out of pocket for us. In addition, the lounge has very comfortable leather seating, TV’s, Wifi and access to several computers. Since we didn’t bring a computer along I was able to look at my emails that had accumulated during the week. Overall a very good experience and I would recommend it if you (as we did) had a few hours to kill prior to your departure.

Car Rental – Used Kenny’s Car Rental and Lesley provided great service as always as he was there when we came out of the terminal and within 5 minutes paper work was done and we were on our way to the resort. Similar on the return as we just left the car in the visitors lot with the key and parking ticket in the ashtray and headed to our gate. Wonderful guy and great service.

Accommodations – We are owners at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort (aka SXM Norm’s place) and had a wonderful stay at the resort. We stayed in a spacious one bedroom in the mainsail pavilion which is the newest of the buildings on the property. Our room was ocean view and the large balcony where we had morning coffee and evening cocktails overlooked the ocean and provides a very clear view of St. Barts. We spent more time there than we did at either the pool or the beach on the premises.

Restaurants – Finally tried Mark’s Place in the parking lot of Le Grand Marche on Bush Road. We both had the ribs with a side of rice and peas and a small garden salad. The ribs were fall off the bone good and the sauce was excellent as well. Portion size was tremendous and we both took the leftovers home which became dinner that evening. Total cost was approximately $35.00 – a great deal. We’ll be back.

Had lunch at Yvette’s for the first time as in the past we could never find it. I had the conch chowder for an appetizer and the pan fried snapper as an entrée. Side dishes were rice and peas and a garden salad. My wife tried the stewed pork chops and also had the same sides as me. My snapper was just outstanding and her pork chops were equally good. Total tab was approximately $28 – another great deal considering the quality and quantity. While we were there Theo Heyliger, Vice Prime Minister, came in with a mini entourage and on the way out we introduced ourselves – he seemed surprised that we knew who he was but was very gracious and kind.

We went to Andy & Cheryl’s twice once for breakfast and then again for lunch. For lunch I had the Philly cheese steak with mushrooms and peppers and my wife had the fish and chips which she indicated as being excellent. With a glass of rose and a beer for me the bill was approximately $35 including the service charge.
The breakfast meal was on my birthday and since I am Philly cheese steak deprived in the Atlanta area I opted for the PCS omelet which also came with hash browns and a candle on top of my omelet! My wife had a shrimp omelet with a nice cream sauce on the top. Both dishes were personally prepared by Andy himself. Wife had a glass of rose and I had a Bloody Mary which was really good. Total tab came to $44.00 including a service charge. It was a great way to get my birthday off to a good start.

We ate at Beau Beau’s twice during our stay and both times were for dinner. It is on the premises of the OBBR where we stayed and since we don’t like driving at night it is convenient. The first night we both had the grouper and a few glasses of wine apiece. It was good but nothing real special. Total tab was about $50 including service charge. The second night was steak night and the only reason we ate there again was because Jan won a $30 Beau Beau’s dinner voucher at the Managers Cocktail party so thought we would put it to use. I had the filet mignon which was just OK and wife had the grouper again. Again nothing memorable but the price was right after applying the voucher.

Went to Sky’s the Limit after having a drink at the Sunset Café on the grounds of the Grand Case Beach Club. We always try to stop by at least once during our trip as we enjoy the vibe at that location. We both had the ribs at Sky’s the Limit with a side of potato salad. The ribs were just OK and in our opinion not as plentiful or as tender as the ribs we have had at Talk of The Town which has been our go to place in the past. Wanted to try something different time but wouldn’t go back. Price was right - somewhere around $15.

Le Bateau Ivre (aka French Lounge Bar) We went over to Porto Cupecoy on Monday morning to both check it out and have breakfast at Ernest and Fidel’s which we had heard a lot about. Once there found out E&F was closed on Mondays so we opted for LBI instead. I had a very good cheese and mushroom omelet and Jan had a smoked salmon platter. Salmon platter got mixed reviews and our tab was approximately $30.00. Porto Cupecoy was a bit sterile for my taste and also very very quiet – not a lot of people around or much foot traffic.

Big Fish – Went here for my birthday dinner on 10/28 and it was just a great experience. The ambience and the décor are just first class. The tables are close together so you are almost forced to have conversation with your fellow diners but we had some very nice folks on both sides so it was really not a problem. I had the rib eye steak which was very well prepared and Jan had the lamb shank. They present the food on very large white square plates and the sides are in small square containers on the plate. The sides consisted of garlic mashed potatoes, diced carrots, fried plantains and a small cucumber salad. My wife had a glass of chardonnay and I had two grey goose martinis. Best meal of the trip and the tab was about $80.

Zee Best – On the way to the airport on Saturday prior to checking our bags in early we stopped in to have breakfast. This was our first time dining here and we both had the crepe pancakes with syrup. I was following my wife’s lead on this to try something new. She loved them and they were just OK for me. Did have an assortment of their croissants and all were delicious. Will definitely return but next time an omelet for me.

Driftwood Bar – Grabbed a burger on the last day prior to heading to the terminal to catch our plane. Saw a few planes come in - a few Liat’s and a good sized United plane. Burger was very good and the carib was equally good. Great way to end the trip.

Beaches – Spent a day at Orient and got chairs and umbrellas at Kontiki for $15. Also enjoyed a few beers and rose while there. Drove over to Mullet and enjoyed the beach there as the water was very calm and crystal clear. Chair and umbrella rental was also $15. Went to the Grand Case Beach Club and rented chairs there for $20 for the day. Water was a bit rough the day we were there along with a very strong undertow. However, very relaxing just sitting on your chair taking in the view to Anguilla and Creole Rock. Dawn Beach was where I spent a few hours most days since it is right on the premises of OBBR. It is normally a wonderful beach but this time with all the seaweed coming in and piling up along the shoreline it was not as pleasant. The guys were working on keeping it clean but there were always small piles to step over to get into the water. Water was also a bit murkier than usual. Not a complete bummer but not as nice as in the past either. Hopefully this is a onetime event.

Tijon Party – We were able to make the party hosted by Rob and Mary at Tijon and had a great time visiting with them and others who were there. Had an especially good time discussing all things SXM with Bill and Elaine and discovered that Elaine is the true poster. Also we met Cindy and John the owners and they are both just delightful and my wife can’t wait to return to take the class.

In conclusion we had a wonderful time and already in countdown mode for sometime in 2012.