pat 43
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Kennys, George1234, camview, Kmon, Brian&Andi, JeanneB, SXMScubaman, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, KirkB, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, foreversxm, MrEZgoin, steve74, UncleLuff, road3682, pbd007, snman31, lcote, Fitzhughlaw, richard4th, Donaegada, Matt W, LauraJim, JandIrene, MKGrey, Swifty, Fran, 7 invisible), 890 guests, and 68 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
simple boat friendly recipes #15921
02/11/2012 02:39 PM
02/11/2012 02:39 PM
new york, new york
caribbeanscout Offline OP
Traveler
caribbeanscout  Offline OP
Traveler
new york, new york
we'll be sailing with some friends in a week. we have a captain but no cook. looking for some simple recipes to prepare ahead of time to bring along and also some easy recipes/ideas for while we're onboard. i plan on making hummus to bring along. that's about as far as i've gotten. thanks in advance for suggestions.

Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: caribbeanscout] #15922
02/11/2012 04:03 PM
02/11/2012 04:03 PM
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
DawnB Offline
Traveler
DawnB  Offline
Traveler
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
For bigger groups, I make fresh salsa, usually the first afternoon on the boat. It isn't that hard, and the ingredients were readily available, including fresh cilantro.

I made a ton of it and kept it in the fridge for use all week. We had chips & salsa, salsa on eggs, salsa with steak, wraps w/salsa...you get the idea! It was a great fresh side accompaniment.

I don't usually bring anything from home, but usually plan to make simple dishes for bbqing while on the boat, and usually one foul weather dish (pasta with sauce & sausage for example).

One of my favourites is to take out frozen chicken first thing in the morning, throw it in a zip-lock with Italian salad dressing (or olive oil, lemon juice and some herbs & fresh garlic), and by the end of the day, it's ready for the grill - whenever I into the cabin, I give it a flip to marinate both sides. I make extra chicken and use the left over the next day for lunch - either in wraps (using some of that salsa!) or in a Chicken Caesar salad.

We also always by lots of pepperoni, cheeses & crackers for a mid afternoon snack - we keep all the cheese in one big zip-lock so we aren't always rooting around for it.

I am sure there are a ton of ideas out there, but that's a few that come to mind.

Dawn

Email me~ dawncustode@gmail.com
Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: DawnB] #15923
02/13/2012 12:06 AM
02/13/2012 12:06 AM
new york, new york
caribbeanscout Offline OP
Traveler
caribbeanscout  Offline OP
Traveler
new york, new york
salsa for the week and extra chicken are great ideas- thanks! it's our first time sailing for longer than a day trip and only one other person besides myself who cooks, so the ideas are welcome.

Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: caribbeanscout] #15924
02/13/2012 12:16 AM
02/13/2012 12:16 AM
Basking Ridge, NJ Southold, NY...
peconic Offline
Traveler
peconic  Offline
Traveler
CS... when racing, we always have a huge (2 gallon) ziplock baggie full of cantaloupe, honeydew, cassava mellons and watermellon...
all cut up into 1" cubes... kept on ice all day...
Nothing more refreshing after a rigorus day of racing!!!
Ice cold heaven, esp.on a hot, humid day!!!
everyone just eats right out of the bag with fingers... it never seems to make it into a serving dish!!!
The whole crew are like vultures on a fresh kill with this...

[color:"blue"]Life with my wife... It's not just a marriage, It's an Adventure![/color]
"Only Sailors Get Blown Offshore" <*}}}><{
Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: caribbeanscout] #15925
02/13/2012 01:41 PM
02/13/2012 01:41 PM
Middleton, Florida
SMC_Irish_68 Offline
Traveler
SMC_Irish_68  Offline
Traveler
Middleton, Florida

When grilling, I add extra servings of the meat (e.g. chicken, steak, etc.). I don't usually season or marinate those pieces. Then we use them the next day for sandwiches. I have also made the chicken into salad which is a nice change from the sandwiches.

If I'm taking a cooler with frozen food, I sometimes make some taco meat and then I only have to thaw and re-heat for tacos or salad.

Pizza: I like to pack several packages of tandoori bread as it's small and fits nicely on foil into the boat's oven. The crew seems to appreciate being able to personalize their pizzas.

My husband and I cook the first dinner on board and then the other couples get to pick a night to cook.

Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: caribbeanscout] #15926
02/13/2012 02:00 PM
02/13/2012 02:00 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
We just figured out our provisions for our April trip. We plan on 5 dinners on board:

Filet mignons
Rice
salad

Pork Tenderloins
stove top stuffing
salad

Marinated Chicken breast
red skin potatoes
salad

Cheeseburgers
pasta salad

Lasagna
Garlic bread
salad

We cook extra chicken for chicken salad, extra pork tenderloin for BBQ pork. We also bring taco meat, pre-cooked bacon and sasauge from home. The bacon and sausage are used for breakfast, or we make BLT's for lunch.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: simple boat friendly recipes [Re: Orange_Burst] #15927
02/13/2012 02:20 PM
02/13/2012 02:20 PM
peconic Offline
Traveler
peconic  Offline
Traveler
OB, Deb makes a Waldorf Chicken Salad that is wonderful!!!
We have it on the boat all the time...
just make chicken salad with onions and celrey and mayo and S&P...
then add sliced seedless red grapes and chopped walnuts...
Great on a nice fresh baguette!!! or just on crackers for an appy... YUMMMMM!!!

[color:"blue"]Life with my wife... It's not just a marriage, It's an Adventure![/color]
"Only Sailors Get Blown Offshore" <*}}}><{