Member Spotlight
casailor53
casailor53
Rincón PR
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (johndana274, Rbailey, louismcc, RonDon, Time Will Tell, MKGrey, John, nevar37, RickG, ColoBoater, tpcook, Fred, OceanSong, taraavo, Alltech63, hokiesailor, charlie, mark37, JeanneB, PML, Kevin_B, deliveryskipper, KirkB, ericlut, lcote, MrEZgoin, metsfan1, pburke40, pandpfromcanada, NumberCruncher, ndfaninnc, Uksimonusa, 12 invisible), 956 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Eustatia Sound-Advice #166227
07/20/2018 09:49 AM
07/20/2018 09:49 AM
T
twoplates Offline OP
Traveler
twoplates  Offline OP
Traveler
T
My group will be returning in August. We have been 1-2x per year for the last 15 or so years. As captain, each visit I challenge myself just a bit to become more accomplished and/or discover new locations for the enjoyment of myself and my crew. I have always avoided Eustatia (even though not specifically redlined) as it has been advertised as "dangerous" for those not very familiar with the water. I have spent some time exploring with the dink and carefully scanned the waters during our last trip to ONB on the water taxi (the channel markers are great all the way to the resort). Needless to say I can't help to think we are missing out by leaving Eustatia Sound off our itinerary. With the aid of good maps, weather and several sets of experienced eyes I see no reason to avoid this area on my next visit. Since the North Sound attractions are not as abundant as they once were and ONB will be on the itinerary again next month, I was considering an overnight in the sound and perhaps motoring up to the resort proper and even attempting a northern entrance to the sound. I will heed any advice offered and always proceed with the utmost caution to protect vessel and crew.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Eustatia Sound-Advice [Re: twoplates] #166252
07/20/2018 04:46 PM
07/20/2018 04:46 PM
Georgia, USA
N
NGAWolf Offline
Traveler
NGAWolf  Offline
Traveler
N
Georgia, USA
We went to the dock at Oil Nut Bay this year and have spent many afternoons anchored off the backside of Prickly Pear. The channel to the dock at Oil Nut is marked to the right after you pass Saba Rock. We made lunch reservations a few days ahead of time and then radioed the resort as we got close on the day of arrival. They have dock hands that find a spot for you and catch lines. Then they take you to and from the resort. They also email you a chart to the dock when they confirm your lunch reservations.

We have anchored off the backside of Prickly Pear by going in both ways. Either from The SABA BEYC channel and then going left while the sun is high and you can see the coral heads or going between Eustatia and Prickly Pear when coming in from Anegada or the Francis Drake Channel. My wife finds a day on the beach there with only 1 or 2 boats around to be the highlight of her trip.

I have a Navionics screenshot of this years tracks in and out if you want to PM me.