Member Spotlight
Alltech63
Alltech63
South Carolina
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (BillDauterive, Kennys, deputydog1157, Jaybird, cbf, Sea_Skyman, gracet03, pburke40, Midsouth, TC42, MrTim-BTV, Zanshin, ggffrr11, dMusicb, sugarae, jazzgal, Jspoone, Leagle49, fabila, kaba, ChuckG, timnboston, 7 invisible), 942 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Provisioning in St. Vincent #17710
09/29/2012 08:10 PM
09/29/2012 08:10 PM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Offline OP
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Offline OP
Traveler
Redmond, WA
We are doing a Sunsail flotilla out of St. Vincent in late October. It's our first time there... I understand there have been some changes in the supermarkets. Any recent experience on the best place and/or method for provisioning there? Thanks!

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Sponsors
Re: Provisioning in St. Vincent [Re: MrEZgoin] #17711
09/30/2012 06:40 AM
09/30/2012 06:40 AM
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
DawnB Offline
Traveler
DawnB  Offline
Traveler
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
I have a trip report on here somewhere from June of this year.

Since it's still considered off season, if you're looking for specific items, I would suggest ordering ahead from Gourmet Foods not far from the base.
Gourmet Foods

There are two good groceries nearby for most other items, we had no trouble finding most things in June.

We went to Gonzales in Kingtown for booze, great selection - They take orders if you don't want to go there.

Gonzales

Provisioning for other items along the way you will not get the same selection, but veggies can be found on most islands, Union had a good selection and is at a good half way point of you're returning back to St. Vincent.

Bread, ice and other treats can be purchased from Boat vendors in most anchorages.

Have a great trip and I hope you'll do a trip report!

Dawn

Email me~ dawncustode@gmail.com
Re: Provisioning in St. Vincent [Re: DawnB] #17712
10/01/2012 09:09 AM
10/01/2012 09:09 AM
W
windward2c Offline
Traveler
windward2c  Offline
Traveler
W
In June 2 years ago when we tried to provision near the Sunsail base and needed limes (very important for obvious reasons) none of the stores had any so the cab driver took us to his girlfriends (mistress?) house whereupon he got out first and it looked like they yelled for a few minutes back and forth before she sold us 5 overrippened limes. I love the I'lons!

Re: Provisioning in St. Vincent [Re: windward2c] #17713
10/01/2012 10:22 AM
10/01/2012 10:22 AM
St Vincent & The Grenadines
Seth Offline
Traveler
Seth  Offline
Traveler
St Vincent & The Grenadines
Dawn is spot on.

The closest decent supermarkets are Super J (formerly Aunt Jobe's) and Sunrise, both close to the airport and a 10-minute cab ride from Sunsail.

Super J tends to have a better selection of imported fresh produce, cold cuts and cheeses. Sunrise, on the other hand, has a somewhat better selection of dry goods and house-hold materials, though they do also have some fairly good fresh produce most days. Sunrise is generally a fair bit less expensive, particularly for house-keeping materials.

Gonsalves Liquors, in Kingstown, is probably the best wine store in the southern Caribbean. You can order on line and they have an excellent wine list (around 30 pages) which Sunsail should be able to e-mail you.

Gourmet Foods is good and sometimes has rather unusual items, many imported from Sweden and Greece - for instance they often have top quality olive oils, less expensive than supermarkets; home-made Italian breads; excellent frozen vegetables; gourmet chocolates; and more.

Sunsail has a basic mini-mart on site but not for full provisioning. The village of Calliaqua, a 10-minute walk from Sunsail, has a few smallish food stores where you can get all basic items, including things like fresh bread.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva