Member Spotlight
Angelface
Angelface
Washington, DC/SXM
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (sugarae, eightzerobits, Cap’n Rog, SXMScubaman, tradewinds, CaribbeanCanadians, sxm2001, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, jrw, RickinAtlanta, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, Beansbbq, Kiles41, ColoBoater, Halcyon, Zanshin, Kathleen, bailau, 12 invisible), 980 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 #182913
02/03/2019 04:27 PM
02/03/2019 04:27 PM
Annapolis, Md
B
bviicatter Offline OP
Traveler
bviicatter  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Annapolis, Md
Hello All-

This Annapolitan is just back from a week starting out Scrub Island BVIs with Dream Yacht Charter. For those who are interested, here is a quick review of my notes-

We booked Owners Time/Short Notice with Jenny Goya. We got yacht Confluence (for the second time!) 2017 L420 A/C 4 Cabin 4 heads. By going this route -owner's time on less than 21 days notice through Jenny- we got the boat all in for about $4900 Saturday to Saturday.

Travel: $700 round trip for two from DCA to STT. We left DCA 7 am were on Tortolla by ferry 400pm. No problem!

DYC base: moved from Hodges Creek to Scrub Island. This is a great, wonderful thing- anyone who has been to both bases will know what I mean. Scrub Island is awesome!

The Yacht: My fifth charter with DYC, fourth through Jenny. Boat was impeccable. Clean, sweet, all systems go. I have never had a boat is less than this state from DYC BVIs. Blue Cocktail Bali 45 last time.

MAJOR CONCERN: At Moorings and now DYC, the butane/propane solenoid is completely disconnected. Is this a problem? I dunno, but it bothers me. I asked base manager Carlton J. and he said there is no law requiring the electric shut off. Carlton is a wonderful person and highly professional and competent charter base skipper. I have known him since he was at SunSail. So be forewarned that the little glowy switch on the electrical control board don't mean diddly- your propane is on unless you close the tanks-but it is pretty.

Day One: Norman after a shake down sail. Nice winds about 15-20 kts and if someone could tell me how to cleanly tack one of these beasts without losing all speed or going into irons I would be grateful. Arrive Norman about 4pm, maybe 5 mooring balls open the entire harbor. Poor ol' Willie T still there and you can almost watch the rust spreading. Coral at Caves not really rocking, perhaps storm damage.

Day Two: Cooper. Arrive after a ripping good sail about 400pm. Not a stinkin' ball in the whole place. Anchored in 30 ft off s/w part of anchorage. Anchor set, saw it was nice and buried. about 11pm, started dragging. Capt Van Dyk off private charter cat nearby heard me swearing and used his dinghy to come aboard. Capt Van Dyk graciously and courteously offered his assistance and local knowledge which I gratefully accepted. He got our boat secure and refused any tip. Thank you again, Captain!

Day Three: Leverick Bay: arrived about 2pm, about two balls available, soon taken. Used dinghy to cruise Gorda Sound. Very sad. Small inter island freighter beached between Biras Creek and Leverick. Bitter End blown away. Saba Rock- same. Prickly Pear- the same bomba shack is there, never have I once seen it open. New Branson home on Mosquito. Ashore for provisions, all good with pool, stores, gas, water. Happy to see LeRoy and Pencil still doing their thing on the fuel dock.

Day 4: Baths Early, overnight JVD: arrive Baths about 12000pm plenty of day balls. Cruise ship off the Baths disgorged- and we had one way traffic through the Baths, maddeningly crowded, long lines, people bunched up waiting to go through. JVD about 530pm after nice down wind sail. Cruise Great Bay looking for a ball- not one stinkin' ball. Chug over to White Bay. Every ball also taken. A French L380 on anchor handed to us a mooring pennant they had discovered. It well secured to seabed with concrete block as well as screw. No buoy but somehow they found it and passed it to us. Ashore- Hendo's, Soggy, Ice Cream Store, two or three other bars all doing a booming business. Perhaps it was Ivan's next to Hendos? All good White Bay!

Day 5: Cruise around to Great Harbor earlyish, about 1:00pm. No balls. Anchor in designated anchorage east side, lots more boats dropped hooks by us as the sun went down. Foxy's was jamming- but I was on anchor watch. Our holding ground was not so great. Don't know if Corsairs is up but in October they were hammering and sawing away.....got fruit, vegetables, and other supplies at the market.

Day 6: Scrub Island: Leave JVD early and motor upwind. Stop at Salt and Marina Cay. In slip by about 400pm. Ah........ showers, flush terlets and a swim up bar. Beautiful beach. All available at no extra cost to DYC patrons! Life is good! Eat our first meal ashore- $19 cheeseburgers not as paradisical as Peter Island Dead Man's Bar- but gotta stop living in the past, man! Peter Island Resort is gone, and wishing won;t bring it back!

Day 7: Up early. The normal amazingly inefficient scene at Road Town ferry and Customs. Next time, I will take a taxi to West End where the whole ferry/customs thing is so much more relaxed. The Road Town ferry shuffle can really harsh your mellow at the end of a nice trip!

Key Takeaways: 1)Have no fear of DYC Scrub Island. The boat, service, base, value all excellent; 2) the place was hopping. Every mooring ball taken, every anchorage, every day; 3) Cruise ships off The Baths are a sure buzz kill. The foot traffic from The Baths to Devils Bay was limited to one direction and absolutely impassable for an hour or two at a time; 4) The BVIs are back, Baby! Go, enjoy, have a great time! We did!

Another special shout out to Captain Van Dyk! Thank you, Sir. You pulled our asses out of the proverbial frying pan, and you did it politely and awesomely! We hope to see you again under more drinky circumstances!

Peace and Fair Winds to All! See You At the Cat Fight!

Aloha!

Last edited by bviicatter; 02/03/2019 04:37 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182928
02/03/2019 05:12 PM
02/03/2019 05:12 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
You wont be going to WE for the ferry anytime soon. The only ferries to STT leave out of Road Town. The only ferry out of WE is to JVD and they service private yachts..See you at the Cat Fight!

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182935
02/03/2019 05:59 PM
02/03/2019 05:59 PM
S
stlmco Offline
Traveler
stlmco  Offline
Traveler
S
While the cost MAY be slightly more, consider flying into/out of Beef Island. We have done it every time after our first trip and love the easy of getting off the plane and clearing customs in less than 15 minutes. And, if you are chartering out of Scrub Island it is a quick walk to the ferry dock,.

Had to laugh at your comment about tacking without losing all headway. First time out on a big cat (Leopard 44) I seriously questioned my sailing abaility, and this was after years of sailing mono hulls and talking the ASA 114 catamaran course. I had forgotten that with big heavy cats you need to back wind the jib when you tack. As the boat comes around do not immediately release the jib sheet, but instead let it back fill with air and the wind will push the bow right around. Once it has swung through the wind and clearly has enough momentum to set you on your new course release what is now the windward jib sheet and pull in on the leeward jib sheet. Also contributing to my problem that first time out was carrying to much sail for the connditions I was in. As they say, with a catamaran reef early, reef often.

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182943
02/03/2019 07:00 PM
02/03/2019 07:00 PM
Rhode Island
AnneQ Offline
Traveler
AnneQ  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
Thanks for a great trip report. Loved reading it, and can't wait to go (less than three weeks til wheels up for me!)

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: stlmco] #182954
02/03/2019 08:29 PM
02/03/2019 08:29 PM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Online content
Traveler
tradewinds  Online Content
Traveler
An island state of mind
No offense, but you're preaching to the choir here. A 44 is actually a small Cat.

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182955
02/03/2019 08:35 PM
02/03/2019 08:35 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
This has been discussed here recently. A large number of anchorages are still closed. But the charterers are coming back in droves making for competition for space in the areas that are available. Unlike years back the modern fleet of charterers largely want to eat ashore so they are congregating near restaurants. Also, many bareboat captains are afraid to anchor even in places like Anegada. So for the foreseeable future I see increasing crowds and frustration. We just returned from a nice week with perfect weather but unlike the OP we didn't show up at CIBC with an expectation of a mooring ball at 4pm.

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182970
02/04/2019 12:37 AM
02/04/2019 12:37 AM
San Diego
K
krafty81 Offline
Traveler
krafty81  Offline
Traveler
K
San Diego
Just have to add I was there 17-24 Dec and had no issues getting a ball anywhere. So it seems like the next week was a lot more crowded.

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182986
02/04/2019 08:01 AM
02/04/2019 08:01 AM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point
Catter,

Mahalo for the latest situations in the BVI.

We will try to work the best we can with the shortage of moorings. Looks like early departures, and spirited sailing is the plan, and maybe a reservation for a slip at Leverick, We love that reefed down, great sail up the sir francis drake channel
from Cooper to Gorda Sound.

We understand that getting into Cooper Island late is not a good plan. We hope to get out of Road Harbor about noon or so. Hate to say it, but we may motor directly over to Cooper . Or if a bit late leaving Conch,, sail to Great Harbor , Peter Island, and party down on the Willy T, and then Cooper the next morning. We have sailed the BVI for lots of years, and Cooper gets pretty well filled up in the late afternoon. We would not want to anchor at cooper.

Also, we have two weeks, on a jeanneau 36i, and should have a fun spirited sail, from Cooper on up to Leverick for the pool, and friday night bbq and Jumbies. Al sounds good at Leverick.

Have a question, if you may have checked out the slips at SCRUB..... the 35 ft. slips would have been far inside on A dock, It appears that large catamarans are becoming the major vessels in the BVI, and perhaps there might be a slip available
for a 36 monohull. We will call in ahead and try to reserve a slip at SCRUB, If not , we can pick up a mooring at marina cay, and dink or take the dock banger over to SCRUB for a fun day visit .Would really like to hike that trail up to the view point.

I would hope with DYC, that they would have boats going out for a week or two, and a 35 mono hull slip might be available. Might depend on a bit of luck.

After Marina Cay and SCRUB, we will leave early and snorkel Monkey Point, NPS mooring for 1.5 hrs. Monkey point is one of our top faves for snorkeling, as is the Indians and Pelican toward the end of our two weeks. Thanks for you update on the Caves, I
I think we will pass on the caves, and double up on the Indians and Pelican. As well as Cistern Pt. at Cooper. All will work out well.

for Jost, I think we will first try Diamond Cay, and Foxys taboo, and also Little Jost and the B-line . Just need one mooring between the two of them. Too deep a draft for White Bay, if a mooring is available in Great Harbor so be it. If not, we
will sail over to Canegarden Bay, This trip, at Canegarden, we plan on some old and new places. Especially the Elm, and check out the snorkeling on Canegarden bay's reef. ( inside ) .

Nuff of all that. We plan to avoid the cruise ships and those mobs of a thousand or so passengers. Also, we have experienced that mess at the Baths, and will pass on all that as well. Disneyland on steroids.

Mahalo nui loa , for your up to date trip report . Helps us to be better prepared and ready to compromise and change our itinerary as required.

Okole Maluna

Denny and Erica

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182988
02/04/2019 08:34 AM
02/04/2019 08:34 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
I am surprised no one made a comment about anchoring at Cooper.

I understand that most charter briefings advise not to anchor there due to bad holding and possible fines for damaging the turtles habitat.

Lots of boats that try to anchor there end up dragging.

Last edited by warren460; 02/04/2019 08:34 AM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #182997
02/04/2019 09:11 AM
02/04/2019 09:11 AM
Ohio
jagmansr Offline
Traveler
jagmansr  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Regarding anchoring at Cooper. Anchoring is only permitted outside the mooring field beyond the sea grass. Manchioneel Bay is one of the Department of Conservation & Fisheries’ Sea Grass monitoring sites and crucial to the health of the marine environment.

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #183000
02/04/2019 09:48 AM
02/04/2019 09:48 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
Just to add to the anchoring thread. To anchor correctly in 30 feet of water requires about 175 feet of chain. Most charter boats have about 125 feet. Remember when you anchor to properly set the anchor. A properly set anchor should not drag. Always have a plan B and time to execute it when arriving at a anchorage.
G

Re: DYC/BVI Trip Report: 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 [Re: bviicatter] #183013
02/04/2019 10:53 AM
02/04/2019 10:53 AM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point
You all are very correct about Cooper.

About 35 yrs ago, Cooper had no moorings. I was instructing for a sailing in club in Newport Beach Ca. I also ordered the Cruising Guide well ahead of time, and learned about the sea grass and the depth, and anchors dragging at Cooper..

This was my first sailing vacation in the BVI. In fact our sailing club's very first international bare boat charter experience. Myself and our sailing club secretary and one of our members was the crew on our Moorings Beneteau 32. We had 125 ft, total chain and rode and a small anchor.

The owner of the sailing club had stopped at Cooper and made some kind of a deal with the owner of the restaurant to have a party and bbq for our fleet. I think it was 12 boats. Well, I was not going to anchor there for obvious reasons.
Grass, depth, short on rode, and not recommended.

That night, with 10 of the fleets boats anchored in Cooper, guess whose anchor drug and had an encounter with one of our other sailing club boats. Yep, the owner of our club. Lots of screaming and blaming and quite a ruction in the wee hours of the morning.

We were safe and sound at another island. Erica was skipper of of a 42 foot mono hull, and also decided not to anchor at Cooper.

For not being there, and Erica following me, The owner of the sailing club was going to fire me. When we joined up the next day or two, I told him the reasons that I made the decision not to anchor at cooper. He told me that I should have taken the boat back and demanded more chain and rode. No clue as to the grassy bottom and cruising guide information. I think what occurred is that he got a rebate, on each person for the bbq . Yep, he lost out on a total extra commission of 9 people. After we returned to socal, never heard another thing about it. All was well for another 20 plus or so years, .

To this day, we just flat do not anchor at Cooper Island. We do our best to get to Cooper early for a mooring.

Denny and Erica